Labs / Anemia/ Low ferritin/ Iron def?

• 4 Replies

Offline Prets

Labs / Anemia/ Low ferritin/ Iron def?
« on: March 11, 2011, 03:52:20 PM »
Hello All,

My new labs don't look very good.  I take iron, b12, b vitamins, cal/mg/D.   I was feeling MUCH better since few weeks, and physically very active.  But again the extreme fatigue has set in, so I got tested.

Hgb  9,  ferritin 8.

:-(

My mentzer's index is usually around 13, this time its 13.2   

Is erythropoetin a safe long term solution? Any side effects? Or is iron the only way out?

<<<<<
The Mentzer index is used to differentiate iron deficiency anemia from beta thalassemia.
 If a CBC indicates microcytic anemia, these are two of the most likely causes, making it necessary to distinguish between them.

It is calculated from the results of a complete blood count.

If the quotient of the mean corpuscular volume divided by the red blood cell count is less than 13, thalassemia is more likely.

If the result is greater than 13, then iron-deficiency anemia is more likely.
>>>>>
Symptomatic Beta Thal Minor.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Labs / Anemia/ Low ferritin/ Iron def?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 04:56:05 PM »
Hi Pretty,

Two quick questions. Are you taking folic acid and has your spleen ever been enlarged?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Prets

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 01:16:04 PM »
Andy,

Yes i take folic acid, my rbc count is always normal. No my spleen has never been enlarged.

Health is better otherwise so I dont suspect a malabsorption issue, except that my iron doesnt seem to absorb/convert.

Are there any physical signs of iron loading anywhere in the body? Very long back a doctor told me it would show on the skin, but i dont remember what that was?

I often get a feeling that everything is getting burnt off - like my metabolism is in super fast mode, end result is my hgb is near 9.  Can a lot of physical activity also decrease hgb?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 06:45:49 PM »
Hi Pretty,

Yes, the skin color darkens with iron loading. You will also see darkening in the fingers and nails first, especially at the base of the nails. The lines in the knuckles will also get dark before the surrounding skin.

Have you had a complete blood count done? I am wondering if your red blood cell count or reticulocyte counts indicate any over-activity in the bone marrow.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Prets

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 12:47:07 PM »
It would be nice to have a site with pictures as to exactly what the skin darkening looks like. I have some localised dark skin but it was related to hormones. I also get some dark skin near the nail beds but i assumed its related to skin allergies - i have them a lot on my hands.

I had done a tibc, etc and a retic count many years back, but the doctor just told me to have more proteins in addition to my supplements.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk