Confused and distressed

• 7 Replies

Offline rubab

Confused and distressed
« on: September 12, 2006, 12:11:40 AM »
Hi,

I am a 20 year old college student. I always knew that I have some sort of blood anomaly, and it has been today that my doctor cofirmed that I have thalassemia. I don't really know what to make of it, but do feel really distressed, and quite confused ... I am an international student attending a Ivy league school, and uptil yesterday my life was full of tomorrows after tomorrows, and suddenly tody, I find myself in front of a sea that seems to shrink onto me ... I am really distressed, and just confused ... Can anyone please leave me a few words on how people like us can go on with a regular life without feeling like this?

Best,
Rubab.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 01:26:47 AM by rubab »

Offline KHALIFA

• ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE
Re: Confused and distressed
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 12:18:58 AM »
i wish now am front of you to tell you   T A K E   I T  E A S Y   you are not the first one have thalassimia and you are not the last one ....  so just take it easy and look forwored to the futer that is't

khalifa :biggrin
RED_PILOT

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 12:30:15 AM »
Hi Rubab,

I don't think you should be worried. There are three different classifications of thalassemia, major, intermedia and minor. It is a genetic blood disorder that involves the hemoglobin gene and if you have two thal genes you are major or intermedia, but these have serious symptoms of which you would be well aware. A major couldn't survive until age 20 without frequent blood transfusions. Intermedias also have many symptoms, including extreme fatigue and enlarged spleens and often also require blood transfusions. If the most you've ever noticed are mild anemia and tiredness, then you won't have a lot of problems.

If you have had problems, let us know what and how severe. If you are a minor the most important thing to consider is that if you have children with another minor, there is a 25% chance of having a major, and you may want to look for a partner who is not a carrier of the thal gene.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline rubab

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 12:41:52 AM »
Hi Andy and Khalifa,

Thanks for your quick posts, and thanks again for the support. I never had a transfusion, but there have always been health "anomalies" that doctors could not explain, such rheumetism like symptoms but not all of them, abnormal blood counts but not anemia, and at the end smaller than expected and weak blood-cells. I have been having regular blood tests for nearly 7-8 years now, I don't know why the doctors did not tell me earlier ... I am scheduled to have a Hymoglobinopthy panel blood test (a set of tests I assume) for specific diagnosis soon. May be then i can know for sure how okay it is ...

I am trying to stay positive. In fact I realise that if there is a reason to be negative, that inspires one to be more positive about everything, at least makes one willing to be positive. It is just emotionally chllenging you see ... I always considered myself a very lucky person, now suddenly am asking ... why me? But ... Khalifa is right, if so many of us can face it, so should I, right?

Again, thanks a lot.

Best,
Rubab.

Offline KHALIFA

• ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 01:12:27 AM »
Rubab where you from ?
 :huh :dunno
RED_PILOT

Offline rubab

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 01:23:28 AM »
Hi Khalifa,

I am originally from Bangladesh; but am attending college in New York now for two years.

Best,
Rubab.

Kathy11

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 08:30:46 AM »
Hi  Rubab,
The only changes you have now, is the knowledge of your general health,look upon it, as a blessing because you can fix or manage it,yes it's an inconvenient for you right now, but once you've got it under control you can continue with whatever you want to do, certainly it's not the end of your life you still can achieve all your goals and maybe be have some more.
Dont let fear fog your focus.
Yes you are indeed a lucky person, you are still alive and you can maintain  your health. 

In the midst of winter, I found there was , within me, an invincible summer .(By Albert Camus) Have hope good luck
Kathy

Offline Maako

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 10:06:06 AM »
Hi Rubab,

Welcome to the group..  :biggrin You can find here a whole family full of loving members who will be more than willing to help you with any issue regarding thalassemia.

Like Andy said, there are many types of thals like majors, minors and intermediates. Since you have survived upto 20yrs of age without any transfusion you cannot possibly be a major, have you asked your doctors what did they mean by saying that you have thalassemia?

I am a thalassemia major and am having regular blood transfusions every three weeks. Like you, i am also an international student in a foriegn country doing my first degree. I am writing this just to tell you that, my life is not a single bit less than any other 'normal person' and like them i beleive that my life is full of tomorrows and tomorros, even with thalassaemia.

I know it can come as a shock to know you have some sort of thal, and you are bound to feel confused and scared, but as Kathy said, it is how you look upon it.. And you are right, you are lucky, and finding about it should not make you feel any less lucky..

I think you should go through the discussion forum , "LIVING WITH THALASSEMIA"  and read all the replies to the the topic "living with thalassemia... whats your life like?". Then you can see how we go through life and that should stop you from worrying so much about it and help you stay postive...

Tc and dont worry so much...

Maako
Maako

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk