Can Thalassemia patient come to USA from India

• 4 Replies
Can Thalassemia patient come to USA from India
« on: May 16, 2011, 04:39:18 PM »
Hello everyone
My brother is 25 years old and he is suffering from beta-thalassemia major. He lives in India and getting many health issues. I want to bring him to USA. Please let me know whats the best way to do so. He is very tensed over there because society let him feel all the time that he is not normal and I can't bear it any more. Please help with this.
Thank you

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Can Thalassemia patient come to USA from India
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 11:00:06 PM »
Medical care in the US is very expensive. Unless one has arranged employment here that includes health insurance, it is very difficult to afford medical care here. Even when health insurance is provided by an employer, there is usually a waiting period of 6 months to one year before coverage begins, leaving the patient uninsured. Thanks to Obama's health care plan, insurance companies can no longer deny coverage to people with chronic health conditions, so this is no longer a barrier.

Your brother should join this group and learn from other thals about how they manage their treatment and their lives. He needs to find some new perspective among people who understand that thals ARE normal. We are also on Facebook and it's easy to interact. It may be possible to do better in India than he is doing now. Talking to others can only help him find some solutions. Please encourage him to join.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 01:17:43 PM »
Thanks andy for your response.
He lives in a village so its not possible for him to be in touch through internet.
But thanks for the information.
He has done Masters in political science. If he wants to come here for the study then whats the best option for him. Is GRE or GMAT required all over the USA for study in every stream. He wants to come but scared of GRE or GMAT.
Please let me know.
Thank you

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 04:22:50 PM »
Please contact Eileen Scott at CAF and inquire if there is any help to pay for treatment for those studying in the US from abroad. She is most knowledgeable about these matters.

Cooley's Anemia Foundation
330 Seventh Avenue, #900
New York, NY 10001
(800)522-7222
Fax: 212-279-5999

Patient Services Manager
Eileen Scott
eileen.s@cooleysanemia.org
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 09:05:42 PM »
Thank you Andy
I have alreadyemailed her and waiting for her reply.
Take care

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk