Other conditions that could make Thal minor appear worse or vice versa?

• 6 Replies
Just curious....... based on the mechanics of Thal, what other conditions/symptoms/states that by themselves are easily managed or normal, but could make Thal minor worse, or be made worse by Thal minor?? 

Here is the things ive thought of( besides the obvious other blood complications like iron deficiency):

*Asthma
*Pregnancy
*Injuries
*Exercise

What about immunological stuff like allergies?
What about body temperature regulation?
What about colds, fever?
Dehydration?

I know supposedly Thal minors arent meant to have symptoms, but considering i have a myriad of other health issues, it makes me wonder why on a blood film my thal minor appears worse, and why the doctors want my blood checked regularly, if its not supposed to show any symptoms? would the deletion of delta, gamma and epsilon genes on one chromosome 11 exacerbate thal minor?? No one seems to know :(

Offline Prets

I was told, yet again, that thal minor is asymptomatic.

Few things I notice about myself.

Heat/ Dehydration makes me feel worse, like I have no blood left. My Hgb is always 9.

Exercise/exertion/stress makes me feel worse too.

Allergies/infections - I get a lot of them which are not always obvious. They pull me down completely.

All of the above can lower my BP below 90/60.  Feels like I cant function at all.

On a healthy day, I might just feel good at my hemoglobin of 9.

A note about iron deficiency.

My entire life I was made to take iron pills, with no improvement in my hgb or ferritin. The only thing that happened was that I developed more medical problems. 
Now some logic has set in.

If at all an anemic thal minor has iron deficiency too, without iron supplements, the hgb should keep getting lower - as is the case with non-thals who can even get as low as 5-6-7. The fact that it maintains at 8-9, probably could mean there is no iron deficiency, and that only thal minor is to blame.

makes sense?  :-)  :-)

Symptomatic Beta Thal Minor.

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
I think everyone has it different,for me dehydration is the worst,and NOT working out also triggers the tiredness,and if i ever try going on a diet,i am constantly dizzy.So i guess it depends.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
I'm going to keep on hammering away at this point Zaini mentioned. Stay hydrated! Thal minor through major. Stay hydrated. This is especially important for those using chelators, as you need to give your kidneys enough water to stay cleaned out.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
And I am talking about drinking water and natural beverages without added sugar and artificial ingredients.
I don't agree with Dr Mercola on many things but he hits it on the head with this latest article.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/06/04/now-they-are-trying-to-sell-you-diet-water.aspx

Here is the ingredient list for the Mango Peach variety of MiO:

Water, Malic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Citric Acid, "natural flavor," Sucralose, Acesulfame potassium, Potassium citrate, Polysorbate 60, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Red 40, Potassium Sorbate (preservative).

Basically, this is a scary mixture of TWO artificial sweeteners, THREE dyes, one preservative, and propylene glycol (PG)—a solvent that can potentially result in cell mutations and skin, liver, and kidney damage, if ingested in high enough amounts. The Environmental Working Group (EWG) rates propylene glycol as a moderate hazard.

Artificial sweeteners are bad news for your health (they can lead to impaired kidney function, depression, headaches, infertility, brain tumors, and a long list of other serious health problems) and are unnecessary food additives—because there are SAFE natural sweetener alternatives...

Propel Fitness Water    Water, sucrose from corn syrup, natural lemon flavor with other natural flavors, citric acid, sodium citrate, potassium citrate, sucralose, vitamin C (ascorbic acid), vitamin E acetate, niacinamide (vitamin B3), calcium disodium EDTA, calcium pantothenate (vitamin B5), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), acesulfame potassium (ace-K), vitamin B12.
VitaminWater    Vapor distilled, deionized, and/or reverse osmosis water, crystalline fructose, cane sugar, citric acid, vegetable juice (color), ascorbic acid (vitamin C), natural flavor, berry and fruit extracts (acai, blueberry, pomegranate and apple), magnesium lactate (electrolyte), calcium lactate (electrolyte), monopotassium phosphate (electrolyte), niacin (B3), pantothenic acid (B5), pyridoxine hydrochloride (B6), cyanocobalamin (B12)
Voosh    Water, crystalline fructose, citric acid, vitamin blend (ascorbic acid, grape seed extract, niacinamide, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12, pyridoxine HCL), fruit and vegetable juices for color, natural flavors, magnesium lactate, calcium lactate, potassium phosphate
Sobe Life Water    Filtered water, sugar, natural flavor, citric acid, ascorbic acid (C), grape skin extract (color), sodium citrate, modified food starch, l-theanine, vitamin E acetate, calcium phosphate, gum arabic, calcium pantothenate, yerba mate extract, niacinamide, pyridoxine hydrochloride (B6), cyanocobalamin (B12)
Fruit2O Relax Essentials (Cranberry Raspberry)    Purified Water, Contains less than 2% of Natural Flavor, Maltodextrin (Fiber), Potassium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Manganese Gluconate Dihydrate (Mineral), Potassium Chloride (Electrolyte), Potassium Citrate (Electrolyte), Potassium Pyruvate (Electrolyte), Vitamin E Succinate, Zinc Lactate Gluconate (Mineral), Calcium D-Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Vitamin B6, Selenium Chelate (Mineral), Citric Acid, Sucralose, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate
Aquafina (Berry Burst)    Sparkling water, natural flavors, citric acid, sodium citrate, potassium benzoate, aspartame, acesulfame potassium, calcium disodium EDTA
Dasani Plus (Pomegranate Blackberry)    Filtered Water, Maltodextrin, Natural Flavors, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Potassium Benzoate and EDTA, Phosphoric Acid, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E) Niacinamide (Vitamin B3) Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6) Red 40, Blue 1, Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12)

Relatively Safe Flavored Waters

Glaceau Smart Water    Vapor distilled water, electrolytes (calcium chloride, magnesium chloride and potassium bicarbonate)
MetroMint    Purified water and mint
OWater    Water, natural lemon and lime flavor, electrolytes, and potassium sorbate (preservative)

As you can see, the majority of these "health" drinks contain a lot of dangerous chemicals that you wouldn't want to put in your body. (Three relatively safe flavored waters are listed above.) Not only that, but sugar is a common ingredient. In fact, some of these drinks have nearly as much sugar as Coca Cola! Take VitaminWater, for example.

Vitamin Water: A Candy Bar in a Bottle

Glaceau Vitamin Water (made by the Coca-Cola Company) has a whopping 33 grams of sugar per 20-ounce bottle (and 130 calories), which is only 6 grams less than a can of Coke. In fact, Coco-Cola Company was sued in 2009 for promoting VitaminWater as a healthful product.

I mostly drink city water that runs through a counter-top filter that removes chlorine and other nasty things. If you drink bottled water, make sure it is natural spring water. Otherwise you may be paying a premium for filtered city water like Dasani and Aquafina. The best tasting water I ever had was in Delhi, a bottled water called Himalaya.

Think before you drink.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Re: Other conditions that could make Thal minor appear worse or vice versa?
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 12:49:48 PM »
Any links to materials regarding thal minor or major and dehydration?  How much water daily is needed for a thal minor?  What are the dehydration symptoms for most thals?  Is salt intake improving the situation?  Any additional info would be appreciated, I am a thal minor and think I have a problem with hydration, but am not sure what symptoms to look for, how to test it or how to address the issue.

Offline Prets

Re: Other conditions that could make Thal minor appear worse or vice versa?
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 11:27:17 AM »
Hi,

i feel dehydrated regularly, towards the evening/night, or at anytime with exertion/heat  - but no amount of water helps. My mouth feels dry and I simply bear with it, till the next morning.  I get dry eyes too, maybe its related to overall dehydration. 
Symptomatic Beta Thal Minor.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk