Help with Interpreting Test Results

• 4 Replies
Help with Interpreting Test Results
« on: August 04, 2011, 08:37:04 PM »
I was diagnosed with Thal Minor as a child but never knew much about it.  After having 2 miscarriages, I wanted to get tested further to see if 1) I actually had Thal Minor and 2) if I had an iron deficiency.  My doctor ran a CBC, hemoglobin electrophoresis, and iron binding capacity test.  His diagnosis is that I don't have Thal Minor or an iron deficiency.  I don't think he is very familiar with Thal Minor, so I wanted to see what you all think.  Do my numbers still indicate Thal Minor and/or an iron deficiency?  Thanks in advance!

By the way, I am currently taking a prenatal vitamin that has 30mg of iron.  I'm not sure if that will skew my iron results or not.

CBC:
Hb 11.6
Hct 37.4
WBC 6.37
RBC 5.17
MCV 72.3
MCH 22.4
MCHC 31
RDW 14

Hb electrophoresis:
HGB A2 2.4%
HGB F <1.0%
HGB Other: No abnormal hemoglobins seen
HGB Interpretation:  The Hgb F and Hgb A2 values are within the normal range.  The remainder is Hgb A.  No qualitatively or quantitatively abnormal hemoglobin fractions where identified.  These results are normal

Iron Binding Capacity (FESAT):
Iron 73 ug/dL
Iron Binding Capacity 316 ug/dL
Saturation 23%

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Help with Interpreting Test Results
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 02:26:49 AM »
Your hemoglobin level is slightly low and these values are all in the range of beta minor.

MCV 72.3
MCH 22.4
MCHC 31
Everything else looks normal. The electrophoresis shows nothing unusual and the numbers are perfectly normal. Your iron levels are all good. Do you know anything about why you were diagnosed as thal minor when you were younger? Sometimes a physical examination of the red blood cells might lead to that suspicion, so I'm wondering what was seen, or it was assumed because a relative was a carrier.

Regardless of the reason for prior miscarriages, I would suggest 400 IU natural vitamin E daily during pregnancy.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 02:48:50 AM »
Thanks Andy!  All my mom told me is that she was diagnosed with it, along with my brother.  So they ran "some blood tests" when I was born and said I had it as well.  Sorry, I don't have any more information.

I find it interesting that those values you mentioned could indicate beta minor, but the rest of my results are normal.  Is it possible to have abnormally sized RBC's that aren't accompanied by a blood disease or any other problems?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 03:16:22 AM »
Family history is used to help diagnose thal minor, so that could be one of the reasons for your diagnosis. Microcytic anemia is caused by iron deficiency, thal trait, anemia of chronic disease and lead poisoning. It may be that you have a very mild thal mutation but this could only be discerned by a DNA analysis.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 10:53:22 PM »
Thanks again for your help, Andy!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk