Need your Help!

• 5 Replies
Need your Help!
« on: September 12, 2011, 04:34:07 AM »
Hi All,

I'm seeking your advice on my baby who presently diagnosed as Thalassemia Intermedia. A small explanation about my daughter;
Her name is Yashodhara 9 months and 28 days old. She was suspected to be Thal Major when she was about 4 months old according to her blood picture and the CBC. When she was 7 months old, she had fever for about 10 days and her hb dropped to 6.9. Then a lump appeared from her chest and the reason for fever was that lump. Doctors did some abdomen scans and all the organs are normal when she was 7 months. They suggest that we wait and see how baby do until about 9-10 months. Two weeks ago, when she was 9.5 months old, doctor asked for a CBC and the hb was 7.8.

Up to now, she is normal with her growth and feeding. Also she is active and sleeping is also normal. Her lips also appear to be pink. What the doctors say is that we should wait and observe before doing any transfusion. I’m bit confused as I saw in some posts, where it mentioned maintaining hb above 10 is necessary and drop belo 10, should BT.

I really appreciate your comments on this as you all know a lot about thal.

Thank you!

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Need your Help!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 06:39:45 PM »
Hi Ashan,

The doctors are waiting to see if this child is thal major or thal intermedia. If the Hb stabilizes at its current range, the need for transfusions will be based on her health and development. If development is slow and the child sickly, transfusions will be advised. Don't be concerned about the Hb level of 10. This advice is for transfusing patients. If the time comes and it is determined that transfusions will be needed on a regular basis, you should try to keep the Hb above 9.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 01:25:00 AM »
Thank you very much Andy! I'm relieved. Thank you again.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 04:30:54 AM »
Just be prepared, because at this young age it is not always easy to predict the course. I would suggest a good dietary program from an early age to make sure the child gets good nutrition.
Andy

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 03:42:30 PM »
Dear Andy,

Just be prepared, because at this young age it is not always easy to predict the course

I assume you mentioned above because its too early to predict whether my baby is Thal Major or Intermedia. Doctors also mentioned the same as she might be Thal Intermedia, according to them also, we should wait and observe little more time.

Regarding the diet, she gets the normal amounts of a normal 10 month old should get and we try to avoid iron rich food for the moment and try to give calcium rich food. I have went through many of the threads in this forum and I'm still not sure whether I should start any specific foods since my child is still 10 months old. For now she gets 1.25 mg of Folic acid.

Also it is helpful your opinion on how frequent we should check the hb level if the baby acts normal.

If you think we should give anything specific food or something, please do let me know.

Many thanks for your help!
Ashan.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 04:11:09 PM »
I would suggest adding 50-100 IU natural vitamin E daily for its tremendous antioxidant properties. For now, Hb testing should be once a month unless there are signs that the Hb has dropped. Then it should be tested as soon as possible.

Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk