Baby Eva's travels

• 4 Replies

Offline vampirebaby

Baby Eva's travels
« on: September 25, 2011, 06:34:15 AM »
Hi All,

I'm new to this website and I must say it's amazing the support network you have here :)

My daughter Eva, now 7 months old has Thal major. Her current Hb is 7.9. It has been really good but she had a bout of gastro last week and the doc seems to think that's what brought it down from 8.5 previously. She hasn't had any transfusions yet. She is very active, has rosy cheeks and does not AT ALL look anaemic.

Before Eva's diagnosis, we had booked our flights to Pakistan for myself and Eva for October. We were planning to stay there for 3 months with my parents. Now I'm a bit confused as to what I should do. Since her Hb is still not quite low, should I carry on with my travel plans?

If she requires blood there (Karachi), is it safe to get her transfused there? As in, is the blood adequately screened?

I'd really appreciate some advice as I really wanna go but very concerned about Eva.

Thanks A lot :)

Re: Baby Eva's travels
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 10:15:43 PM »
Hi, it is good to hear that she is doing good. First transfusion in my experience can happen around 6-12 months. I was diagnosed at birth, so at around 6 months was transfused. If you live in the U.S then I think it is better if you have your first transfusion here. So that everything is explained and understood correctly. I know Karachi has a good transfusion center there, I don't remember the name of it, however I would not trust there screening. With all the flooding in Karachi area and other sicknesses in Lahore, I don't thinking even going to Pakistan is a good idea at this time. But that is just my very conservative thought.

Offline vampirebaby

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 03:14:25 AM »
Thanks Ironman.

We live in Melbourne and the thalassemia team here is fantastic. They have allowed Eva to travel as long as we can arrange for her to be transfused there if the need arises and as you mentioned Karachi has some good thal services. We plan to go to Agha Khan should the need for her BT arise. I just hope they screen the blood sincerely.

Our travels are subject to Eva's Hb reading next week. I'll travel only if it is in the 80s otherwise I'll have to cancel my flights. Please pray for us as I really wanna see my parents and have some support around me. I've been a mental wreck after Eva's diagnosis. Would be great to have change of environment :)

I just hope Eva grows up to be as brave as all of you are on this forum :)

Offline Dori

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 09:05:52 PM »
I want to wish you good luck in making the best decision (a support system is a benefit for one's health too and (if you choose to) safe travels!! <3 You are NOT alone!!!

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 11:07:59 PM »
Kim,

You might want to ask the question about Karachi in our Facebook thalpal group, as I am certain we have members who live in Karachi.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk