thals high risk getting liver cancer

• 8 Replies

Offline baal

• to be or not to be
thals high risk getting liver cancer
« on: October 17, 2011, 08:24:05 PM »

THALS – high risk getting a HCC (Hepatocellular carcinoma)

Dear Friends,

I would like to share my latest experiences and information.
End of August, I had travelled to Hamburg for some special tests (SQUID) to check the iron-overload in my liver and the heart.
The whole tests had not been very delighted, as I had been approached by a very negative comment: you should have given better care to your treatment in your youth.
Even my sister, who joined me for this travel, was offended by the way the doctor was talking about me and replied angry to him.
During the CT, which had been done in addition to the SQUID for the heart check, they told my sister we should re-do another CT in Frankfurt, as they located some spots in the liver, which are looking different and could be tumors. I will not go into details about the emotional reaction of my little sister, etc. – I was convinced that there is nothing and/or only the extra-modular tissue, which I have as well in the lungs.
To cut a long story a short, I did the CT again in Frankfurt and the docs here diagnosed as well tumors in the liver and did a puncture to check it is something malignant or not. The result is shattering: I have a so called HCC (hepatocellular carcinoma) – in total 4 tumors in the size of 4 – 5 cm. L

According to my doctor it is based on the damaged cells, due to hemachromatosis/iron-overload and the liver cirrhoses as a result of same!
In fact she told me THALS patients have high risk to get a HCC.
Therefore I would like to recommend to all of you to do 2 a year a CT to check your liver. My blood results – especially the liver data e.g. GOT, etc. was always within the parameters.   
Last Friday the did another puncture in the back to count out metastases to put me on the waitlist for a liver transplantatio!
I have to wait for the results and keep you updated of the out-come.
Wish me luck….
Bye, Panos

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: thals high risk getting liver cancer
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 09:00:49 PM »
Panos,

I am very sorry to hear that - I am sending you prayers and wishing you luck.  Please keep us posted about your progress. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 11:40:11 PM »
Panos,

This is terrible news. I am so sorry. Considering your history, the doctor was way out of line with his comments. It is only through your own hard efforts that you are alive today. Is chemotherapy an option? I would also suggest concentrating on desferal to try to remove the iron stores that supply the tumors with the iron needed to grow.

Tumors need iron to grow and with high iron, there is fertile ground for cancers to develop. I agree that all thals should have regular liver scans because all chelators are not equal. Desferal is still the best chelator to remove liver iron. Combined with deferiprone which is best for the heart, it's the best chelation program currently available. Even with this combination, liver and heart should both be scanned so that doses can be adjusted when needed.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Dori

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 08:06:38 AM »
Panos, es tut mir weh :( es macht mir traurig ;-(((( Ich denke an sie and ihren familien. Lassen sie mich wissen ob ich etwass tun kann.

SüBe grüBe, Dori

I would have been so angry at that first doc. I was already wondering were you have been as you were so happy you had the opportunity to go.

(..)

How's your sister?

We are all here for you.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 08:50:46 PM by Dori »

Offline Lena

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 03:39:52 PM »
Pano,

we have already talked about it in private. I wish you luck. Do not let it down, doctors and medicine can do miracles!
Keep us posted.

Lena

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 12:52:43 PM »
HI PANOS.
 i am very sorry to hear about this. i am praying for u. n dont worry.miracles can happen at any time. dont let it get ur hopes down. good luck.
 take care.
shaziya

Offline Tarak

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 02:35:38 PM »
Hi Panos,
               I am so sad after hear this sad news about you. I am always with you and don’t lose your hope and strength to recover from it. I will pray to god for your health and for successful liver transplantation and also for your fast and good recovery. As shaziya said miracle can be happens at any time so don’t be sad and god will always with you. I wish you luck and god bless you dear. Get well soon.
 :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck
 :getwell :getwell :getwell :getwell :getwell :getwell :getwell :getwell :getwell :getwell :getwell

Offline laiba mukhtar

• lake saif ul maluk......luv it
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 10:20:42 AM »
Hi panos !
 i m so soory to hear that... sending u prayers and wishes for successful liver transplantation and May u have speedy recovery ..
Get well soon .  :getwell
take care
Laiba mukhtar

Offline Dori

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 03:34:25 PM »
Panos, how are you doing?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk