Alpha Thal Trait and transfusion dependancy, is this possibe?

• 2 Replies
Alpha Thal Trait and transfusion dependancy, is this possibe?
« on: October 22, 2011, 05:43:41 AM »
Last week I had a phone consult with a thal doctor who told me that despite my "only" having one gene deleted, she thought that i was just iron deficient. I don't know if i have one or more additional gene mutations, but she said that treatment would be the same.

This is very confusing. I had been on iron therapy (transfused and daily pills) for several years. In the last year though, they no longer work. I've had eight blood transfusions this year; getting them anywhere from 2 weeks to a month or so apart.

Is this it? I don't know what to do other than get a new bone marrow test, and further gene testing. But it may not make a difference. Is it possible that after so long, my talassemia (whatever degree it is) has gotten worse?

Anyone have experience with this?
Thanks.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Alpha Thal Trait and transfusion dependancy, is this possibe?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 08:04:47 PM »
Winnie,

Does the doctor have any explanation for your need for transfusions, as this is not a normal treatment for iron deficiency? Have you had another set of iron tests done? Has a DNA sequencing been advised? I am also going to send you a PM.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Re: Alpha Thal Trait and transfusion dependancy, is this possibe?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 01:56:58 PM »
Hi Andy,

I've been told that because my average hemoglobin is 8, they will transfuse when I go below 7.  My body has stopped respondiing to the iron therapy within the last year;I used to stay at 10-12 with oral iron and twice yearly intravenous iron. (I was tested for alpha thal just this past spring after 7+ years of iron. I stopped taking it since i didn't know what effect it would have.)

I've asked for liver tests, and I've had extensive tests to find internal blood loss; no luck.  With the cold and flu season coming, I'm anticipating being in the hospital a lot. My immune system is very sensitive to every germ.

Right now I'm waiting for an appointment with my current doctor to talk about more DNA testing, scheduling regular blood transfusions, and a new bone marrow test. I'm not sure there's much else I can do.

It's just so wierd!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk