Thal minor with iron deficiency

• 9 Replies

Offline san7213

Thal minor with iron deficiency
« on: November 12, 2011, 04:18:48 AM »
I saw my new hematologist today.  He said i'm a thal minor which I knew, with an iron deficiency.  he put me on ferrous sulfate 325mg 2 times a day for 1 month.  he palpated my spleen and I will have an ultrasound on it soon.  He will retest me me in 1 month.
I am nervous about taking the iron, always been told not to.  But he said this is different and needed to bring up levels, but he will be watching the thal closely and make sure i'm not storing excess iron.  he really seemed to know what he's talking about, and explained it better to me then I can seem to do. lol
does this sound like the right way to go about it, or should I be worried.

Thanks in advance
sandi

Sandi - May we live a pain free day

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Thal minor with iron deficiency
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 04:39:49 AM »
Hi Sandi,

Thal minors can be iron deficient just like the non-thal population. There is no connection between the two but they can coincide. If your doctor has done an iron panel and not just the serum ferritin test and it shows that your iron levels are low, it's OK to take iron. Normally, a one month trial is done and then re-testing. If levels haven't noticeably risen, then another form of iron should be considered. If the iron bothers your stomach a lot, call your doctor and ask if there is another form you can try.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline san7213

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 03:41:55 AM »
Thank You Andy

I feel better now that I have heard from you.

He did put me on it for a month trial.  And if I couldn't handle the pills or wasn't absorbing them, he would try a different route like an infusion.
I really liked this doc, he seemed to understand thal, and listened to me well.  I asked him about my father who had it and had a lot of symptoms with bad health.  He told me it could very well be the thal overloading his body in iron.  It was nice that he took his time and talked with me.

But being that I have been implanted about not taking iron, I was still nervous.   I just wasn't sure and you have eased my mind.

Thanks again

Sandi

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 11:16:50 PM »
It sounds like you're in good hands with your hematologist. He has a good understanding of the causes of your anemia.
Andy

Offline san7213

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 03:56:30 AM »
Andy,

Taking the iron has really made me feel not well.  I got sleepy and my muscles and joints got worse.
So I decided to stop taking it, and use whole food herbs and chinese medicine to try to help it.

I did call the doc and said those aren't working for me, they just suggest an over the counter kind.
My natural Path gave me a comprehensive folate, made with three key forms of folate.  it's suppose to be easier to absorb.
and i'll be giving myself B12 shots weekly.

Do You think it was possible that even though i am anemic, the ferrous sulfate could of been making me worse?

Thanks
sandi

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 05:09:22 AM »
Sandi,

Yes, iron supplements can be harsh and many people, including myself can't use them. I learned to get enough iron from my diet. Try the natural methods and give them enough time to work.
Andy

Offline san7213

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 05:46:28 AM »
Thanks Andy,   you truly are a God send.

Buy the way, I told my NP Dr about this website, she wrote it down and will be checking it out.  It's nice to know she is interested in Thal

Offline san7213

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 06:18:21 AM »
Hi Andy,

Saw my hematologist today.  he wants to give me Infed infusion.  That is the nickname on card, not sure the correct name.  But iron through IV.

He said this should fill my tank and then will watch to make sure it stays there.

Does this sound right to you?  :dunno

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 07:28:48 PM »
For many people. the iron infusion is the only method that will work to correct deficiency quickly. I would also suggest making sure you are getting an iron rich diet and also taking vitamin C or citrus with iron rich meals to aid in iron absorption. The infusion should work quickly to move your iron stores upwards.
Andy

Offline san7213

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 02:06:09 AM »
Thanks Andy

i'm eating very pure, with iron rich foods, I'll be sure to be aware of the citrus.

you always put my mind at ease.

thanks for responding so quickly

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk