Can you help me to translate this... I just post with wrong forum

• 2 Replies
I just got a bad news of my 11 months baby girl, who got Beta Thal Hb E

Her Hemoglobin Typing as
MCV = 67.9 L fL, Hb A = 47.70%, HbE = 19.90%, HbF = 32.4%, OF Test is weakly positive, Hb Typing is EFA

Me, her mother
MCV = 77.5 L fL, Hb A = 70.70%, HbE = 28.30%, HbF = 1.0%, OF Test is weakly positive, Hb Typing is EA Hemoglobin E Heterozygote

My hubby, her dad
MCV = 81.1 L fL, Hb A = 94.40%, Hb A2 = 3.2%, HbF = 2.4%,  OF Test is negative, Hb Typing is A2A Normal Pattern

Can yoy tell me that my hubby is Beta Thal Carrier, too?

And how can i get the right bone marrow or stem cell for my little baby?

Very thanks in advance

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Can you help me to translate this... I just post with wrong forum
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 08:18:32 AM »
Hi Louislui,

What is the current Hb level of the child and was there a percentage for HbA2 given for her electrophoresis? An HbA of 47% eliminates the most severe form of HbE beta thal, where HbE is combined with beta thal zero. No HbA is produced with that combination. It is not possible to say your husband is beta minor from his results, as only the HbF level would indicate beta minor. However, the child's electrophoresis indicates the father is a beta minor, although I suspect this is beta+ . The current Hb level will give you some idea of the expected course. From the information provided I would have to think this should not be a transfusion dependent thalassemia.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Re: Can you help me to translate this... I just post with wrong forum
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 10:59:19 AM »
Dear Andy,

Thanks for your explanation

Louislui

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk