• 11 Replies

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Thalassemia and Fasting (Ramadan issue)
« on: September 23, 2006, 10:18:28 AM »
Hi all,

With Ramadan arriving here just around the corner (already started in gulf), I would like to ask you if your doctor allows you to fast completely for a long period of time (for us Muslims; from dawn to dusk).

Some doctors here don't recommend fasting especially in summer knowing that our physique is not good. But I do it anyhow except for the TransX day as the fast breaks anyway when the blood is drawn for the cross match (according to Islamic rule)

So tell me, what does your doctor say about it?
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Smurfette

• Me and my Goddaughter
Re: Thalassemia and Fasting (Ramadan issue)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 10:49:51 AM »
Hello,,

I dont think that fasting is really important!!!! Me being greek orthodox we do have some strict fasting days too...but we dont fast...cause its not allowed...

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 12:28:02 PM »
Hi,

I'm not asking from the religious point of view. I'm asking from the medical point of view. Does your doctor says that you can fast without suffering much; being a Thal. as I know that some extreme diabetic patients are not advised to fast lest thier blood glucose falls too low.

Thanks for understanding.

Take care, Peace!
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 06:27:07 PM »
Sajid,

Isn't there an exception for medical conditions when it comes to fasting for Muslims?

In addition to diabetics, I was wondering about those who have slow thryoids and have to take thyroid replacement hormones (ilke I do). My own experience is that the hormone causes me to have to eat and in fact, my doctor demands that I eat three regular meals every day. If I don't eat I tend to feel faint and start to becomes disoriented. Granted, the high dosage I am on most likely makes it a more severe problem for me when I don't eat.

But what about thals? What is your experience? If you are diabetic or on thyroxine, is it still possible for you to fast all day, every day, for one month?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline KHALIFA

• ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 09:46:53 PM »
Brother sajed some of my friend here in kuwait i ask them if they fast or no they told me yes we do but if we feel tired we break the fast ....my all the best for you all in this holly month ,,,

khalifa
                                                  state of kuwait
RED_PILOT

Offline Nur

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 03:34:06 AM »
Hi all,

I am a muslim and me and my friends do fast during Ramadhan. But sometimes if i feel too tired I don't fast. It is up to your health condition and if you feel that you can do it, go on.

Nur

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 05:46:32 AM »
Sajid,

Isn't there an exception for medical conditions when it comes to fasting for Muslims?

Yes Andy, there is an exception but I am trying to find out what percentage of Thals. are able to fast as our doctors also reply "If you can fast then do it, otherwise don't." This statement does not satisfy me. I just want to know if fasting can adversely effect our health being a Thal. and what doctors of other countries say about it by allowing or disallowing it. I am asking this because fasting is compulsory in this month (if health permits) and when asked a priest they tell us to consult our doctors.

Take care, Peace!
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Maako

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 02:34:08 PM »
Hi Sajid,

As u said, in Islam, fastin in the month of ramadhan is a must for muslims, but provided ure health doesnt become any worse because of fasting.

I am a thal major of 22 years and i have been fasting every ramadhan (all the days except transfusion) for about the last 10 years. I have never been advised by the dr. not to fast due to thal, becoz except of thal, i dont have any other complications. So for me its not a big issue to fast, infact i welcome it coz even most of the normal days i would be usually with one or two meals per day  :rotfl. I have never noticed that i have to have transfusions more quickly or anything like that becoz i fast.

But, in ramadhan specially, when the date for transfusion is near and if the hb is a bit lower than what it should be, i get really tired. In that case i break fast for about a day or so until i transfuse, to avoid feeling weak. I re-fast these days i dint fast in another month after ramadhan ends..

Thats me. But I know thals who fast even with diabetics.. They somehow shift the times of they take insulin around the day they are fasting. One of my diabetic thal friend takes Insulin right after breakfast and just before starting fast for the next day (i really dont know how but they do it and i feel amazed coz they seem completly healthy even after fasting)...

What im trying to say is that, maybe fasting doesnt depend on what the dr says. As adult thals, we would probably know if it would affect our health or not. So it is upto us to decide whether we can fast or not, becoz i think we know ourselves better than any doctor does.

:heartpink Maako
Maako

Offline riya

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 03:50:57 PM »
Hi,
     i am a hindu and i do fast on navratras but in our case we can eat some items and my doc says as long as i take fluids and a lot of fruits its ok to fast for six or seven days.
riya

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 05:39:02 AM »
I believe that you are right Makko,

I was just confused when I got conflicting advice from the doctors and priests.

Now I know that I am not doing the wrong thing as I do the same myself (Don't fast on TransX day). The relaxation in the rule that you can re-fast in other days is a good thing and we can compensate for those days.

It's good to follow what doctors say as in Riya's case or for someone who is seriously ill and postpone their fast and compensate for them when they are healthy. God Almighty is most forgiving and merciful.

Take care, Peace!
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline T @ r ! Q

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 05:00:24 PM »
Hi,
I would also like to add up that my doctors say the same thing: fast but if u feel unwell,leave it.
I have started whole month fasting three years ago right when my professional career started, since then me and my elder brother who is also Thal major fast regularly in this month except for transx days of course, and haven't faced any kind of problems Alhamdolillah.

Regards,
Tariq.
Falling down is not defeat... Defeat is when you refuse to get up...
The one who kneels to Allah, can standup to anything.

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 01:04:17 AM »
Hi !

My husband is Thal Intermedia. He is fasting the whole month very well. Yes, he will be tired but he try to fast then to give up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk