iron overload

• 23 Replies

Offline Lena

Re: iron overload
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 06:08:27 AM »
Shaista,

Andy is right that there have not been any clinical studies for Vit C together with Ferriprox/kelfer. My doctor, though, insists on my taking vit C with ferriprox and I have been taking it since 2003 when I started taking Ferriprox.

Lena

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 09:33:52 AM »
Hi,

As i have started giving 2000mg of kelfer to Mohib from 21 march .Yesterday night he had nausea and then he vomitted.Today again he has nausea .Is it bcoz of Kelfer.What will you people suggest.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 03:46:11 PM »
It may be related to the increased dose. Are you splitting the dose into 3, and having him take it 3 times daily? Is he also taking Asunra?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 07:34:17 PM »

I am giving Kelfer in 4 doses.Even i am giving Asunra in split doses 400mg in the morning and 400 in the evening.As he is having problem with increased dose of kelfer, can i give him Asunra 4days aweek and kelfer 3 days aweek.

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 07:19:50 PM »
Hi,

I am worried about Mohib, Despite the strict chelation of 20days his ferritin has increased from 6500 to 7300.why it goesup instead of going down.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 12:31:08 AM »
It is far too early to expect results from chelation. If he is having problems from kelfer, it would be best to minimize how much he takes and replace it with Asunra on those days. If at all possible, get him to still take desferal at least twice weekly. Be patient. I often see that it takes over a year to see the ferritin to drop when using Asunra. Iron will be removed from organs first, so you won't see a drop in ferritin, but this is OK, as long as chelation is faithful. I have seen this same pattern since the very first trials of Exjade. It requires patience and compliance. His ferritin is high enough that you can be sure it will take time at the proper doses to show results. Using desferal will hasten the drop, so encourage him with the thought that once his iron load is under control, he will be able use Asunra alone.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Lena

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 10:02:32 AM »
Do not worry, Shaista, it may happen that iron is removed from the organs and goes up to the blood stream - that's why the ferritin rises. However, I shall agree with Andy that it would be more helpful to make him use desferal two times a week. I know it is difficult for him, but the result will show earlier than with Asurna.

Keep on and keep us posted,
Lena

Offline maha

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 04:51:12 AM »
ASA Shaista
I have just been reading your posts. The dosage of folic acid is really worrying. 5mg/day is the maximum dose of folic acid usually given to pregnant ladies. Why are you giving him 4 tablets of 5mg folic acid daily? At his age the maximum dose would be 3mg/daily but considering his low weight 2mg/daily is enough. As for chelation, patience and compliance is the key. I feel you should go with desferal and asunra like Andy suggested, as it will bring down the ferritin sooner.

take care
maha

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 01:45:25 PM »
ASA,

Mohib has throat infection.He is taking antibiotic Klaricid 250mg, 2 tabs a day for 5 days so does he stop taking Kelfer for 5 days.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk