Any friends also with alpha-thalassemia minor here?

• 7 Replies

Offline bolu

Any friends also with alpha-thalassemia minor here?
« on: April 26, 2012, 04:43:53 AM »
Hello all!

I wonder if here are some friends also with alpha-thalassemia minor here.

I was diagnosed as a patient of alpha-thalassemia minor --SEA. I don't know what I will confront in my future life. I wonder if anyone here is just the same as me.

I feel lonely.

What's more, I am in my 40 days of pregnancy. I don't want my baby to be a thal. carrier, even though there is only 50% of chance. My god, my life is now a mess. I feel desperate.

Offline Answers4N

Re: Any friends also with alpha-thalassemia minor here?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 05:41:29 PM »
I just wanted to wish you and your unborn baby the very best of health! Please don't worry yourself sick, your baby needs you to be as calm and stress-free as possible during this time :)

Maybe the most important thing for you to do at this time is to inquire on testing for your baby's father to determine whether he is a carrier of any forms of Thalassemia! This information will be very important to your baby's health!!!

I understand your feelings coming into this diagnosis, please read the recommendations that Andy and others have given on this site for Thalassemia in pregnancy, it will give you a great starting place for supplementing folic acid among other suggestions to keep you and baby healthy!

Best wishes,
Sarah

Offline Narendra

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 07:20:49 PM »
First of all - Welcome to thalpal

There are millions of thalassemia carriers in the world - both Alpha and Beta so there are a lot of minor's. I am not sure of specifically someone on this site but I do recollect some of them who did talk about their Alpha Thalassemia child here, so sure there are some on this site.

Please read the Alpha Thalassemia section on this site : http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php/topic,1772.0.html

Offline bolu

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 04:48:05 AM »
Thank Sarah!
Thank Narendra!

Fortunatelly, baby's father is not a thal. carrier. Even though I still worry about my baby's health and future. After all he/she is not a NORMAL person.

Offline bolu

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 04:50:33 AM »
Is it too crule und unfair to the baby if I stop the pregnancy?

Really upset.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 06:18:48 AM »
Relax. As I have written in another post, there is no danger. You carry alpha trait, not the disease. Because your husband is not a carrier, your children will either carry trait like you, or be normal. Either way, there would be no reason to end the pregnancy.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline bolu

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 12:41:45 PM »
Andy, thank you very very much!

Offline Danny.H

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 03:22:50 AM »
Hello bolu
I know your message was a couple years ago
I just found out first of May 2014 that I do have thalassemia minor and  just in the 21was went I got hold of a copy from my diagnostic. That was strange because I was expecting to see my thalassemia coming just from my mother's side but I found out to that I received one gen defective from each of my parents so I have  alpha thalassemia trait - alpha/- alpha.
Daniela

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk