thalassemia and slowed growth in children

• 6 Replies
thalassemia and slowed growth in children
« on: May 19, 2012, 01:20:06 AM »

Hi, Everyone  :biggrin[bgcolor=#FFA600][/bgcolor],

My daughter is already 13 and she weighs only 76 pounds and stands at 4'10.  :wah
It's been her utmost desire to grow as tall as I am. ( I'm 5'8 and a thalassemia minor. )
My husband stands 5'6.
Can any medication and or vitamins like folic acid still help her more inches?  Thanks!  :huh

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: thalassemia and slowed growth in children
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 02:36:59 PM »
It's difficult to say whether or not thal minor has affected your daughter's growth, as genetics plays the major role. However, I would suggest some tests to see if there is also a nutritional deficiency. Most important is the vitamin D level, as calcium and other minerals are not well absorbed when D is low, and D deficiency is probably the most common vitamin deficiency in today's world. Anything below a level of 35 is unacceptable and a minimum level of 50 should be the goal. I would suggest a complete blood count, CBC, along with testing of folate, B-12 and D levels. All are simple blood tests and will help to determine if correction is needed.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 10:19:36 PM »
Thanks, Andy for your inputs.  I shall do that.  Although I would hope that she is not vitamin D deficient since we come from the Philippines. By the way, she is also suspected to be G6PD. Thanks again!

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 07:58:49 PM »
Don't worry. My brother is Thalassemia Minor and he reached 5'9 very nicely though my dad about 5'6.

In girls, puberty starts around 13 whereas in boys, it starts around 14, its normal. One very nice friend of mine was very shorter than me also till the age of 14, then he grew tall and now I've to look up to him.

Its fine. Though get the tests done, as Andy said.
Every child is special.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 10:43:26 PM »
I never take it as a given that people get sunshine regardless of where they live. If your daughter gets a lot of sun, vitamin D deficiency becomes less likely, but this is often not the case in hot climates. If she does get regular exposure to sunshine, her D level should be fine.

G6PD is inherited and women are usually only carriers, unless both parents are carriers. If both G6PD and thal minor are present, hemolysis could be an issue. Do you know her HB level?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 04:01:06 AM »
Hi, Pratik!  Thank you very much for the encouragement.  I am looking forward that she indeed would grow tall.   :biggrin

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 04:16:05 AM »
Hi, Andy :)  Yes, my daughter has tested positive for G6PD in one of the hospitals here in the Philippines.  No, I do not know her HB level ???  I'm only beginning to be aware of these things. How does hemolysis, HB levels affect people with thalassemia?  Sorry to appear ignorant (?) I used to shrug this thing off believing that they will outgrow this condition.  It was only when they appear to be smaller than their peers did I start to research about Thalassemia.  They are right now in soccer ( 2x a week).  So, I guess they do get a dose of Vitamin D. though, I will still have them checked Thank you for your inputs.  They help!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk