thalassemia patients in US

• 6 Replies

Offline pmeet

thalassemia patients in US
« on: December 28, 2011, 03:22:57 PM »
I am currently based out of india, but if need be i can start looking job in US.
I think if i move with family insurance should cover us .
If it doesnt then is blood and its transfusion done subsidised/free in US ?

Can someone from US tell me financial scene for thal patients in US ?

Re: thalassemia patients in US
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 03:26:22 PM »
A person's medical insurance would need to cover the transfusions/blood.
Nicole
Nicoler

My son, adopted from China at age 3 in April 2010, has beta thalassemia major.

Offline Bostonian_04

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 08:39:17 PM »
without insurance, transfusion is very expensive in US. just the bloodwork and transfusion is billed for 4K/month for my daughter. This does not include the doctor's fees. depending on the insurance, you can expect to pay as little as $10 (co-pay) to 20% of the total expense till you reach the maximum out of pocket expense for your plan. AFter that amount, insurance covers at 100%.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ? - Plato

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 11:05:38 PM »
And Exjade is expensive without medical insurance prescription coverage (or sometimes, even with).
Some of us have $20 copays for a month supply, or $40 copays, or $60 copays.
I was recently told by the pharmacy it would have been $3000 for a one month supply without insurance.
Nicole
Nicoler

My son, adopted from China at age 3 in April 2010, has beta thalassemia major.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 01:27:32 AM »
The cost for Exjade from Novartis that is charged to insurance companies is anywhere from $3000-5000/month in the US, depending on the patient's weight and required quantity. I do not think it would be this high without insurance, as Novartis does have a program to help people who cannot afford necessary meds. It is interesting that in India, Asunra, which is produced by Novartis India and equivalent to Exjade costs about $300-400/month in India.

I also find it interesting that the Exjade donated to me is worth well over $10,000 in theory, but there is no one on earth that would pay the same price that is charged to insurance companies. When I send it on to someplace like Bangladesh, the value in US dollars is less than 10% of the supposed value in the US. It's no wonder that the pharmaceutical industry is the most profitable of all industries.

If you were to get a job in the US, you would have to find one that offers health insurance benefits. Even then, there may be a waiting period before coverage begins. Fortunately, thanks to the Affordable Health Care Act, insurance companies can no longer refuse insurance based on pre-existing conditions, so this is no longer an issue in the US. Or at least it won't be if we manage to keep the law in place.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 01:08:41 PM »
Hi Andy,
Last Christmas, Me and my 17 year old son travelled to NY from Melbourne Australia. We were told if we want to have blood transfusion in US, we need to pay USD 50,000 first as deposit before be admitted in the hospital. Of course, we do not have that much money, so we end up stopped over in Hong Kong for few days ,and my son had the transfusion in Hong Kong before we landed on JFK airport.
My 17 year old son wants to visit US again, is there any hospital can offer blood transfusion in a cheaper way? And how to arrange? How to arrange Health Insurance for the people with working visa?
Kind regards
Crystal Kabaha

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 07:41:51 PM »
Please contact Eileen at CAF for guidance. She is more familiar with costs and may be able to direct you.

Cooley's Anemia Foundation
330 Seventh Avenue, #900
New York, NY 10001
(800)522-7222
Fax: 212-279-5999

Patient Services Manager
Eileen Scott
eileen.s@cooleysanemia.org
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk