Low Ferritin - Iron Supplements

• 7 Replies
Low Ferritin - Iron Supplements
« on: May 20, 2012, 05:19:47 PM »
Hi,

Often I have been told that I have low iron but I always understood with Thalassemia I should not take iron supplements. Over the last few years since my fatigue went from mild to chronic (better now with Meyers IVs) I have tried to educate myself more on Thalassemia and understand my test results, which turns out it is not iron but my rather ferritin that is low. I see from alot of the posts this is a common miscommunication by physician to their patients.

My physician said sometimes if Iron levels are normal low ferritin can cause some problems. It may be worth it to try an bring the levels up and see if it helps.

Is there anything I should be concerned about taking Iron supplements for 6-8 weeks when I will restest my Ferritin levels.

Offline Answers4N

Re: Low Ferritin - Iron Supplements
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 08:33:37 PM »
Hi Marcy,

I can't speak distinctly for ferritin levels, however, our son that is still going through a diagnostic process to get specific diagnosis (appears to be effected by at least beta-thal minor coexisting with severe iron def), had very low serum iron levels (his level was 6 norm range being 25-156 for his age). We were told that while he was in need of iron for the iron def. that he would have to be followed by a hematologist monthly to evaluate his iron levels, but also to make sure that the iron supplements were not causing toxic iron buildup in his system due to the thal minor. I would recommend having your levels monitored closely by your hematologist if you choose to go with iron supplements, just as a precaution.

Best wishes to you :)

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 10:20:28 PM »
Serum ferritin is not an accurate measure of iron levels. Serum iron and TIBC should also be measured, as factors unrelated to iron load affect ferritin. A complete iron panel including all 3 should always be used to diagnose iron deficiency in thal minor.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 04:26:15 PM »
Thanks Answers4N & Andy.

My iron is within range but Serum Ferritin was low and my MD thought that trying to increase it may help with energy.
I am taking half the recommended does of liquid iron 10ml/day and will have my MD test Serum Ferritin/Serum Iron & TIBC in 4 weeks. 

I have never seen a hematologist since my HB is always within range.

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 01:50:34 PM »
I have a similar situation and was told my ferritin level is a 7. My hemotologist gave me ferrax 28. I have been taking it for five days and have noticed an increase in tension, and heart palpitations. He did more blood work to test my b's , d, magnesium, e, ect... My Mg levels in July were 3.7 and was told slightly low. My reg dr told me to take no more than 300 mg of Mg a day but hemo said in order to raise the levels I have to take 800mg /day. We are waiting for my lab results so I stopped the Mg and have not taken it in a couple weeks.  Could taking iron along w/ low Mg levels be the cause of my heart palps ect. ?

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 05:57:19 PM »
An imbalance between calcium and magnesium can lead to heart palps, as each mineral controls one side of the heart beat. It is advisable to take a higher dose than 300 mg of magnesium to correct this. 500-800 mg would be a recommended dose.
Andy

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 05:48:43 AM »
An imbalance between calcium and magnesium can lead to heart palps, as each mineral controls one side of the heart beat. It is advisable to take a higher dose than 300 mg of magnesium to correct this. 500-800 mg would be a recommended dose.
Andy I want to ask if Thal Majors should do the same? Because I ordered Osteocare as you know and it contains 800 mg calcium and 300 mg magnesium, so do I or am I required to buy additional magnesium tablets?

-P.
Every child is special.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 09:16:43 PM »
I would say the minimum dose a thal major adult should take daily is 1000 mg calcium and 500 mg magnesium. There is an assumption that diet provides a significant percentage of this, so your dose is probably fine.
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk