What should I tell the Nutritionist?

• 1 Replies

Offline Mo

What should I tell the Nutritionist?
« on: June 19, 2012, 04:44:50 AM »
This Friday, I have an appointment to see a nutritionist. I will be tracking my food intake this week and then talk to her about developing a better eating/nutritional diet plan to help ease digestive issues, anxiety disorder, and now (new to the mix) alpha thal. minor., and also help develop a plan for eating while training for endurance sports.

From what I have gathered in doing my own research, I may not expect much from the nutritionist when it comes to knowledge about thalassemia. So, I am wondering what kind of information I should bring with me to this appointment regarding thal. minor that can help me better communicate with my nutritionist regarding my dietary needs. I am slowing digging through the info on this forum, but it is all so new to me, and a bit overwhelming.

Thanks for your help!

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: What should I tell the Nutritionist?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 11:42:33 PM »
I think the main thing you need to communicate to your nutritionist is that your blood work needs to be understood in the context of alpha thal minor. Iron is almost universally prescribe to alpha minors and for most, it is unnecessary and counterproductive. In addition, explain to the nutritionist that the turnover rate for blood is higher with thal, so a nutritional program that concentrates on boosting the development of healthy red blood cells and extending their life is desired.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk