low platelet count

• 14 Replies

Offline Annie

low platelet count
« on: July 03, 2012, 08:19:10 AM »
Hi Friends,
how ru??
my low platelet counts are very low since Nov. last report was 75,000 and my doc. suggested me to go forbone marrow analysis.
please help me is there anything serious??

thanx
I AM  SUFFERING FROM THALA MAJOR

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: low platelet count
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 03:05:47 AM »
Hi Annie,

Do you have any unusual symptoms?  Any red spots on your skin? If not, and you feel like you normally do, it's possible that you need more folic acid of B12. Small amounts of vitamin C daily, 100-200 mg or citrus fruits may also help the platelet level.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 06:08:34 AM »
I heard that Allovera leaves has a lot of platelet and is normally given to person who has low count of same and eating them makes instant rise in your platelet count.
Every child is special.

Offline komal

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 07:51:29 PM »
HI Anieeb,                       I also have same problem of low  platelet count  they always remain  in between 20 thousand to 50 thousand,but I have  no issue  of gum  bleeding sometimes  red spots  appear.my doctor  advised  me for spleenectomy but am nt agree.he said  there may be some antibodies tht destroying platelet.           

Offline Annie

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 08:42:12 AM »
hey
thanx every one 4 ur replies....
Andy I am perfectly fine, no red dots, no fever
but sometimes i got knee pain and i am taking Asunra + Desferal Combination Therapy, is it fine??

Thanx

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 12:51:42 PM »
Hi Annie,
I am also on Asunra + Desferal Combination. Kelfer may cause joint pain but you are not taking it so I suspect that your knee pain might be due to low calcium level. Are you taking enough supplements of Calcium?
Dear Andy, Please correct me if i am wrong or something is missing.

Start listening your body, it always gives signs

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 04:17:03 PM »
Asunra does cause joint pain in some patients, but other causes should be looked at also. As Dharmesh has pointed out, you may need calcium. To properly take calcium, it should be in a combination with magnesium and you absolutely need to take vitamin D with this to ensure proper absorption of the minerals.
Andy

Offline Annie

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 05:33:59 PM »
hello
Thanx Andy & Dharmesh
i am taking 4 tabs. of shelcal 500mg, 2 tabs of rocaltrol 0.25mg daily

thank you

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 10:25:47 AM »
Hi Annie,
Let me bring the fact to you that Shelcal 500mg is containing only 250 IU Vit D3 and it is quiet low, which can lead to lower absorbtion of Calcium to your bone. It was quiet old regimn and i was taking Shelcal 500 before many years and also your taking very high dose of Calcium.
 But you Vit D intake is quiet low in compared to your 4 calcium tablets. And yes why i said this because my Calcium tab. contain 3 times higher Vit D(Cholecelciferol) i.e 1000 IU in one tablet of 500mg calcium and it's working good. You should ask your doctor about this kind of calcium tablet.
In Addition to Vit D , magnassium also needed, Coconut water is good source of natural magnassium. Citruc fruits are also helpful and i am taking both these iteams.  Have you done Dexascan for Bone Mineral Density?(BMD)

My Doc. prescribed me BiPhosp. and Rocaltrol last week so i don't know much about it.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 08:10:19 AM »
Annie, 2000 mg calcium on daily basis is very dangerous and may cause heart failure! Unless you are taking calcium with manganese in 2:1 ration respectively, it can cause serious troubles, and also that much manganese would also be not recommended. I recommend you to take 500 MG calcium daily with 250 MG manganese and also at least two tablets of VITAMIN D (around 500-1000 IU).

Dharmesh, I'm also taking rocaltrol since past 3 years, any idea how much exact IU one tablet of it contains? I had a look at it's wrapper long ago, but they mentioned some other units or rather was not clear, let me know if possible. Thank you.
Every child is special.

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 09:07:37 AM »
Hi Pratik,
You exactly asked me what i wanted to ask Andybro :wink ???
Rocaltrol contain 0.25mg Calcitriol.

Dear Andy,
I was taking Gemirtol containing 0.25mcg calcitriol, 500mg calcium and 7.5 mg zinc.
How many IU of Vit D3(Cholecelciferol) ? = 0.25mcg calcitriol

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 09:10:40 AM »
Annie, 2000 mg calcium on daily basis is very dangerous and may cause heart failure! Unless you are taking calcium with manganese in 2:1 ration respectively, it can cause serious troubles, and also that much manganese would also be not recommended. I recommend you to take 500 MG calcium daily with 250 MG manganese and also at least two tablets of VITAMIN D (around 500-1000 IU).

Dharmesh, I'm also taking rocaltrol since past 3 years, any idea how much exact IU one tablet of it contains? I had a look at it's wrapper long ago, but they mentioned some other units or rather was not clear, let me know if possible. Thank you.
Dear Pratik,
It is not manganese but it is magnesium which is to be taken with Calcium + Vit D.

Offline Waleed

• I'm not normal but Supernormal
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 08:48:04 PM »
I had low Platelets count today in CBC result.

It is 85 10^3/uL  (Normal Range 142-424)
Remarks: Thrombocytopenia (No platelet clumps)

I experience rashes most of the times if I am exposed to high temperatures. And I just pulled my knee muscle -4 weeks ago while teasing my friend. Knee Pain has just disappeared yesterday.

Doctor said it might be because of deferiprone Kelfer. Next CBC to be done after 4 weeks.
Waleed

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 11:25:16 PM »
The low platelets are the most likely cause of the symptoms mentioned in your other post. A known side effect in some users of deferiprone is a low white blood cell count. Low platelets without a low white count are more likely to be related to a reaction to the platelets in the transfusion. Even with filters, some platelets can get through and cause an antibody reaction. Your white cell count should be monitored weekly.
Andy

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 06:50:03 AM »
Dear Pratik,
It is not manganese but it is magnesium which is to be taken with Calcium + Vit D.
Yes I accidentally misspelled it, haha.
Every child is special.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk