Shaking during iron infusion

• 1 Replies
Shaking during iron infusion
« on: July 09, 2012, 09:12:59 PM »
I have had two - 3 day iron infusions about 8 months apart. 

Each time (day 1 infusion) I started shaking for about 2 min. The shaking was obvious but not violent and with no other problems.

The first time, (day 1 infusion) I had already left the Dr office. I started shaking about 30min after infusion.  The two following infusions given to complete the treatment …no shaking.

The second time (day 1 infusion) I started shaking during the infusion but again, the next two infusions were without incident.

When I told my Dr about it he said he didn’t know what was causing the shaking.   

I plan on having another infusion treatment shortly …It’s been 8 months since the last.  I’ve lived my whole life with anemia (iron shots, pills, liver barely cooked) It was through a bone marrow draw that it was discovered I had Thal. (shape and size of blood cells)

I have to say I NEVER knew I could feel SO GOOD!!!!. I never even felt that good as a kid. I was absolutely shocked.  The very thought of giving up these infusions would be so upsetting…  Not worried about a build-up of iron…as both times I was showing very low iron etc. and all that goes with it.  I seem to get about 5 months of  feelling really good then everything starts to go south.

I’ve read that iron infusion can be risky so would like your take on what I’m experiencing.

Thanks Everybody

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Shaking during iron infusion
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 02:21:00 AM »
Hi chitchat,

Iron deficiency can coincide with thal minor, but caution needs to be taken to make sure you don't get too much iron, because iron will not correct the low Hb level that is related to thal minor, so once your level is where it needs to be, iron should be discontinued. If your level is still low and more infusions are required, make sure you are given an antihistamine like benadryl before the infusion, as this will help cut down on side effects. If the shaking persists, it may be necessary to try a different form of iron in the infusion. You should be checked for serum iron, serum ferritin and TIBC, total iron binding capacity.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk