Mood disorders with Beta Thal minor.

• 7 Replies
Mood disorders with Beta Thal minor.
« on: July 20, 2012, 03:06:25 PM »
I posted this on spotlight thread. I thought I'll post it here as well.

I was wondering if there is any link between IBS and BTT. I have suffered with IBS all my life and now my daughter is following my foot-steps.
Also, I was reading an article somewhere on BTT saying that beta thal minors suffer from mood disorders from the low oxygen in their blood. they are more prone to Bipolar disorder and such mood disorders. That holds very true in my case, and in my mother's case where she is the carrier. I've had severe mood swings all throughout my life. Can anyone here substantiate that? That would be helpful. Thanks.

Re: Mood disorders with Beta Thal minor.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 03:18:38 PM »
I'm thal minor. I suffered a lot with IBS for few yrs, tried supplementing with more fibers etc but nothing helped. Then I tried a Probiotic (Align) for 30 days and that helped me a lot. Have you tried any Probiotics ?

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 03:46:08 PM »
Sumit,

No, I have not tried any probiotics for myself. Is Align available OTC? Is it available in the US? I want to try it for my daughter . She has severe issues with excessive gas, and her stools are a different story everyday. I have tried giving her Acidophilus , but they seem to make it worse for her. I also have tried giving digestive enzymes. they don't seem to help either. i don't know what else to do. We even have visited two different gastro docs, and all they want to do is an endoscopy. And I hate invasive techniques on children unless absolutely necessary.

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 12:41:48 PM »
Yes, Align is OTC and is available everywhere in US.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 03:15:27 AM »
We are hearing many reports of thals minors through majors who have various digestive disorders. I can't say that this means it's related to thal, because the incidence in the general public is also high. IBS does seem quite common among thals, though.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 04:58:23 AM »
My daughter has had severe wind problems her whole life with stomach distention. X-rays show it's all gas :)  She  has beta thal minor. She can only eat really small amounts then feels so full she's going to pop. 

She and my husband have mood swings but I think thats more hereditary from other genes and not thal !

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 09:16:06 AM »
Seems to me that being tired all the time, out of breath with minimal exertion, fatigue, muscle pain,headaches, brain fog, etc... etc.....  would make anyone a little depressed :huh  It sure makes me depressed--especially when my doctor says non of these symptoms-- including depression, are related to thal.  I would laugh if it didn't hurt so much.

Offline Prets

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 12:17:20 PM »
Yup,

Being tired and in pain all the time is not easy. At times i do get frustrated with it all. :-)
Symptomatic Beta Thal Minor.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk