Hello from Toronto! Just joined today

• 11 Replies
Hello from Toronto! Just joined today
« on: August 09, 2012, 04:17:09 AM »
Hello everyone,
I'm Sam from Toronto, 25 y/o male with thal major, currently taking 1500mg Exjade daily. I want to help and send my support to everyone, and just looking for a place to meet others with thal. I've only met a few other people with thal. so I've never been fortunate enough to have a good network to exchange thoughts and ideas with others. Hopefully I can meet a lot of new friends here.

Offline Dharmesh

Re: Hello from Toronto! Just joined today
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 07:47:59 AM »
Hi Sam,
 :bighug :welcome :welcome2
You can definitely find new friends here. Over here you will get a good network to exchange thoughts and ideas with us and also you will certainly find this site much much helpful as you start exploring it.

By the way you are taking Exjade 1500mgs then wht's your current weight and S.Ferritin?
Tell us something more about you.
Start listening your body, it always gives signs

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 02:45:38 PM »
Thanks for the welcome  :biggrin
I'm about 74kg and last ferritin level was measured at around 1750

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 06:37:01 PM »
Cheers Sammy, welcome to thalpal :)
Every child is special.

Offline Narendra

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 07:35:32 PM »
Thanks for the welcome  :biggrin
I'm about 74kg and last ferritin level was measured at around 1750

sammytoronto - Welcome to thalpal.
When did you start Exjade? Is this your initial starting dose and your doctor plans to increase it? For optimum results thals on Exjade are taking 30 mg/kg

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 01:09:17 AM »
Welcome Sam!  It is great to have you here!  I am also Canadian and my 14 year old son has thal major.  He is also on Exjade. 

We look forward to learning from you!

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 09:45:39 AM »
When did you start Exjade? Is this your initial starting dose and your doctor plans to increase it? For optimum results thals on Exjade are taking 30 mg/kg
Yes Sammytoronto,
You are taking 20mg/kg, considering your current weight and doseg, which is maintenance dose.As said by Narendra 30mg/kg is optimum and considered for reduction of S. Ferritin.

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 05:49:23 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone.
I started Exjade about 2 or 2.5 years ago at 500mg but was increased to 1000mg and eventually to 1500mg. Initially it started to decrease slowly but my doctor wanted to see a slightly faster/larger decrease so the dosage went up. It's been a while since measuring my ferritin levels so I'm due for another bloodtest real soon.

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 07:37:46 AM »
Yes you should reach eventually at optimum dosage if you want to see some real progress.

Offline Bobby

Re: Re: Hello from Toronto! Just joined today
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 12:57:50 AM »
Welcome!

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 03:59:36 AM »
exjade is a great drug, especially when the dose is increased slowly as it has been for you.  My son's ferritin levels remain between 300 - 600.  It could be lower but because of his age his doctor prefers to maintain them at this level. 

Best of luck to you. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 06:29:47 PM »
@Hanumant

I guess optimum levels depending on the person and their current tolerance/response to the drug. I'm going for blood work soon so i guess I'll know whether the dosage is fine or too low.

@Bobby
Thanks for the welcome!

@Sharmin
It's always better to lower the dose than to increase. I hope your son's iron levels come down soon, it's best to spend the least amount of time with high iron so I think it's wise of you to catch it at an early age. I wish him all the best with his treatments!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk