Cost of certain Tests in US

• 11 Replies

Offline pmeet

Cost of certain Tests in US
« on: August 21, 2012, 12:56:34 PM »
I am planning to relocate from India to US for better treatment for my daughter EVI (thal major)
I understood that blood transfusion related cost will be covered by insurance.

I need to understand chelation drugs and cost related to test while planning to sibling are covered too?

1.       HLA matching serology followed by minor antigen(HLA match)
2.       CVS(chorionic villus sampling) for prenatal diagnosis of thalassemia

Can someone also let me know approximate costs of these tests. I will be relocating to Redmond area.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
Re: Cost of certain Tests in US
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 04:37:01 PM »
Just wanted to ask if moving to USA is that necessary? Now better care can be taken in India and I am doing so as well, all the facilities a Thal Major needs are possible in my city itself. Also consider migrating to USA will increase cost of other general things as well.
Every child is special.

Offline Bostonian_04

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 04:38:57 PM »
Pmeet,
if you have insurance, these tests will be covered by insurance as well. based on type of insurance, you may have some type of co-pay...
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ? - Plato

Offline pmeet

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 05:20:32 PM »
i will have insurance.
Are you sure these will be covered there?
I was under impression that things are covered if they are considered 'necessary' .
These might not fall under those as these are to make sure sibling hla matches.

Offline pmeet

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 05:23:23 PM »
Just wanted to ask if moving to USA is that necessary? Now better care can be taken in India and I am doing so as well, all the facilities a Thal Major needs are possible in my city itself. Also consider migrating to USA will increase cost of other general things as well.

not necessary. India too has good facilities but I dont think they can be compared to developed countries .

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 06:37:28 PM »
not necessary. India too has good facilities but I dont think they can be compared to developed countries .
There are well chelated patients in various parts of areas as well. That's a vague excuse, but yes, USA of course, is superior. Anyways, I wish you luck. :)
Every child is special.

Offline pmeet

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 07:52:41 AM »
Can someone also comment about the approximate cost of the tests

Offline Bostonian_04

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 04:05:58 PM »
Pmeet, the cost generally vary by the place you go....but, if you know what insurance company you will be using, you can go to their website and get details on what will be covered by the insurance. Also, if you have a Thal Major child, they will cover CVS and HLA...I know few parents w/ thal major kids and for them these tests were covered by insurance. Sorry, I don't know the exact cost of these tests.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 04:22:24 PM by Bostonian_04 »
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ? - Plato

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 03:10:23 PM »
Hi PMeet,

I can provide some details based on my experience here in US:

- cost of blood work for B-thal mutation detection for me and my wife was around $1500. Paid by insurance. We just had to get an additional letter from the genetic counselor stating that we both are thal minors and hence it is important to detect the mutations for subsequent CVS/Amniocentesis.

- cost of Amniocentesis including prenatal diagnosis was around $5000. Covered by insurance.

I don't know the cost of HLA match.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 11:36:13 PM »
The key is having insurance. If it is provided by an employer, there are usually only co-pays to pay, but if not provided, it has to be purchased and it is quite costly. My family plan costs over $1200/month.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 05:43:45 AM »
Wow, the prices are very high.
Every child is special.

Offline pmeet

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 06:48:07 AM »
The key is having insurance. If it is provided by an employer, there are usually only co-pays to pay, but if not provided, it has to be purchased and it is quite costly. My family plan costs over $1200/month.

I will have insurance, but not too sure if the tests will be covered there or not :(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk