Is it ok to give Asunra sometimes even on not-empty stomach?

• 6 Replies
Is it ok to give Asunra sometimes even on not-empty stomach?
« on: August 27, 2012, 09:48:15 AM »
Dear all,

My 3 yr old daughter is on Asunra. We give her it first thing in the morning and any other food only after 30-40 minutes. But sometimes usually once a week, she is like "mom, pls don't give me this. I m hungry" and i feel so sorry for her and i think its ok to skip.

but pls guide me - can i give it to her later even if she had food. Can it be taken when stomach is not empty?
does it give its effect or should i skip it that day? pls guide.

Rima

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
Re: Is it ok to give Asunra sometimes even on not-empty stomach?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 02:16:29 PM »
Hi Rima,

Don't worry. Many of us take Asunra with food also, especially the young ones like your daughter and some even mixes with food. From what I've seen, taking Asunra with or without food doesn't have any lack of effect or reduce in efficiency of chelation.

But NEVER skip the dose, give it her with food also, but important is giving Asunra, skipping doses is not good.

Regards. :)
Every child is special.

Offline Bostonian_04

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 07:03:28 PM »
Pratik summed up pretty well for you Rima...You can give Asurna with food, immidiately after taking food BUT Never skip a dose...
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ? - Plato

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 05:40:40 AM »
Hey Thanks Pratik and Bostonian,

Will surely never skip from today. Will give it to her even if her stomach is not empty.
Thanks a ton.

Her current ferritin is 2200. How much is normal? and approx what time it will take for my daughter to get her ferritin to normal? Does she will have any bad health effect with her current ferritin and what should i do?

Pls guide. Thanks

Rima

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 08:26:05 AM »
Normal S.Ferritin level expected for Thalassemia Patient is 1000ng/ml.

But it is old regime now a days it is possible to maintain S.Ferritin near or less than 500ng/ml.
In my city some guys are having and maintining it at around 120ng/ml.

If taken on maximum dosage for 1 years then S.Ferritin will start decreasing. But what is important is as your child is growing u must corelate dosage at every three months or if possible every one or two month because weight increases.

Higher iron level can affect general health condition, growth etc.
Start listening your body, it always gives signs

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 10:13:14 AM »
Hey Thanks Pratik and Bostonian,

Will surely never skip from today. Will give it to her even if her stomach is not empty.
Thanks a ton.

Her current ferritin is 2200. How much is normal? and approx what time it will take for my daughter to get her ferritin to normal? Does she will have any bad health effect with her current ferritin and what should i do?

Pls guide. Thanks

Rima
Keeping below 1000 is ideal and around 500 is better!

But 2200 is good but FOR CURRENT, as she will grow, the blood requirement will grow and as her weight increases, you will need to increase chelation dosage as well. Just make sure you give her maximum dosage as per her weight (30mg/kg). So it is also advised to monitor her weight and ferritin every 2 months.
Every child is special.

Offline Narendra

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 03:58:30 PM »

Rima - I think you are doing fine. Just make sure she is on regular chelation and the dose is NOT skipped. The health worsens after transfusion for a long time AND NO Management (meaning no chelation). Your child has started the chelation process so that is good and with good management she can lead a normal life as hundreds of well managed folks around the world are doing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk