Urgent advise needed pls: Asunra to Kelfar, ferritin too high

• 4 Replies
Urgent advise needed pls: Asunra to Kelfar, ferritin too high
« on: September 14, 2012, 12:10:50 PM »
Dear all,

I m very scarred today after getting ferritin report of my 3 yr old daughter. Her Ferritin is 3219 ng.

Her dose was asunra 200 mg/day, weight-12.5 kg. Ferritin before 2 months: 2200 ng.

After seeing today's ferritin report, doctor asked us to switch from asunra to Kelfar.
Pls advise. What precaution to take b4 starting kelfar. Dr advised to start 250 mg - 3 times a day.
How is it taken and do i expect any side effects? Pls help. Not in good state of mind today. A lot confused.
Thanks

Re: Urgent advise needed pls: Asunra to Kelfar, ferritin too high
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 03:25:57 PM »
Hi,

First, no need to be scared. The mere fact that ferritin increased from 2200 to 3219 is a GOOOD sign. This means Asunra is working well. Asunra is known to chelate iron from the organs and stream it into blood (temporarily causing increasing the ferritin in the blood).

DO NOT PANIC, I think this is a good news. The dosage of Asunra is fine (you may consider 300 dosage), I would continue with Asunra and gradually you will see decrease in ferrtin over the period of 5-6 months. Please be very compliant with the chelation program.

I think yoor doctor is jumping the gun by switching to Kelfer (in my opinion) there is no need for it.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 03:56:03 PM by Canadian_Family »
Regards.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 04:20:44 PM »
I agree 100% with Canadian family. The doctor is jumping to conclusion in a hurry. Ferritin reports are also known to be unstable and it is very likely as Canadian family said, Asunra removes iron from organs and that iron then enters in to the blood (stream/path) and is then excreted out via feces and urine. So it is very much possible that while the sample was taken, the iron was present in the blood stream.

I would advise you to wait, and do the ferritin the next time you plan transfusion and not after 2 months and see or compare the difference, so we can see what's happening.

I've been on kelfer till I was 13 and half or so. Kelfer is known for even greater side effects such as joints or bone pain, I Had a very bad joint pain in 2007 due to Kelfar which took me very long to recover.

I suggest not to jump to any conclusions for now and would advise to get the ferritin done the next time you plan her transfusion.

Also that ferritin is also not too or very high, but in middle.

-P.
Every child is special.

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 05:06:49 AM »
Thanks a ton, Pratik and canadian family.

A lot relaxed now. Will discuss with doctor and continue with Asunra.

:))) thanks

Rima

Offline Parin

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 04:58:04 PM »
Hi Rima,

Asurna is working correctly....so don't worry at all...we are giving Asurna from last 3 yrs and its working good....first its increase and then start decreasing....as mentioned in post you can increase the dose to 300mg/day.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk