Need advice-- CIS-Alpha thalasemia trait couple

• 3 Replies
Need advice-- CIS-Alpha thalasemia trait couple
« on: September 26, 2012, 07:11:21 AM »
Hi,
Finally, me and my gf gone thru the Alpha DNA analysis and both of us are with CIS Alpha thalasemia traits (aa,--).. 25% of our kid will possibily having alpha thal major... Yes, I am worry as we are going to step into marriage soon... Both of us love kids so much. we know bout prenatal analysis to screen out in 11th week... but its really hard to go thru that if we found that the fetus is affected with major thal.. touch wood....... anyone would have come accross this case, pls advice me what to do..... my parents dont look good on that..... :(

pls...

Re: Need advice-- CIS-Alpha thalasemia trait couple
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 02:57:42 AM »
andy, any advice from you? thanks so much

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 06:12:02 AM »
As harsh as it may seem, if testing shows an alpha major, there is no choice but to abort, as the fetus won't survive and it can pose a serious danger to the mother. Regardless of one's beliefs, there really is no choice. This is unlike beta major. Alpha major is not compatible with life because no hemoglobin is produced and the fetus cannot survive. You have to be prepared for this possibility with each pregnancy. IVF/PGD is also an option for screening for an unaffected embryo.

I know many people have strong reservations against abortion, but alpha major is not viable. There is no choice. But keep in mind that no more than 20-25% of all pregnancies go to full term. Most embryos fail naturally, either not implanting or miscarrying after implanting, and often because there are defects in the embryo. Alpha major pregnancies are in this category. They will not survive birth and will result in spontaneous abortion (miscarriage) or stillbirth. Because the mother's safety can be at risk, it is in the interests of the mother to abort once the diagnosis of alpha major is made.

I can only give you the facts. I do not see this as a reason to prevent a couple from marrying. The March of Dimes estimates that up to 40% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage. This fact does not stop people from marrying and getting pregnant, nor should it. I think looking at this with an honest and factual perspective can be very illuminating.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 05:23:01 AM »
andy, your reply is always so encouraging.... ok, its time for me face thru it possitively.... thanks andy... thank you for all the effort you have been putting on thal, on anything.... thanks..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk