Need some answers and advice

• 1 Replies
Need some answers and advice
« on: October 14, 2012, 02:08:02 PM »
Hello everyone,
My name is Oana i'm new here.
At the beginning of this year i have found out that i am a carrier of beta thalassemia. i have never had any symptoms and it was the first time i heard of thalassemia.
it was during my first scan (i was almost months pregnant) when the doctor told me that i am a carrier and they need to test my husband 2, then  they found out that the baby stopped growing around 8 weeks and i technically miscarried.
i've had 2 other pregnancies that ended in miscarriages, one at 8 weeks and the last one around 6 weeks.
my husband suffers from alpha thalassemia with 3 alpha traits missing (haemoglobin h i think it's called)
we havent got a change to see a professional and we have our first doctor appointment this Tuesday. was wondering if anyone can give me some sort of advice.. i dont even know what i am dealing with here and cant understand why i lost 3 pregnancies one after the other.
i have heard that we cant have a child that suffers from thalassemia major, but we cant seem to keep a pregnancy for more than 8 weeks.
really hope that someone can help ... i'd like to go to the doctors already prepared with some sort of information. i dont want to be taken by surprise with  bad news .

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Need some answers and advice
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 02:29:29 PM »
Hi Oana,

I am sorry for your losses. It's quite sad.
I would like to see the DNA reports of both, but especially your husband. I need to know exactly what his alpha status is based on. Normally, the combination of beta and alpha will lead to a mild condition, so we need to know if this is the normal case of alpha thal HbH disease or if your husband carries a triplicated alpha gene. This makes a huge difference, so the information is absolutely necessary before I can further advise whether you should continue to try to have children. If he is truly HbH and does not carry a triplicated gene, then there are steps they may help you have a successful pregnancy. It is also essential that you know 100% that you are not also an alpha carrier.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk