Need help for explanation

• 6 Replies
Need help for explanation
« on: September 20, 2012, 03:25:52 PM »
Hello....

I want to get married, but find out that I and my partner is an alpha thalassemia silent carrier. When my parent find out about this they ask to cancel the marriage. I already done some research through internet about alpha thalassemia and find out that the worse case for us is to get childerns with alpha (trans) thalassemia trait and it just only 25% of getting it. I was having hard time explaning to my parent about this. They cannot even differentiate between alpha and beta thalassemia. They even think that the alpha thalassemia can change to beta thalassemia. They just worried that my children will need to get blood transfusion every week.

As an expert in this matter, could you confirm my hypothesis about the percentage and briefly explained about the difference between alpha and beta thalassemia so that my parents could read about this and still decided to continue my marriage with my partner.

Thank you for your time.

Azizullah Saifullah
Kedah, Malaysia 

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Need help for explanation
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 03:31:27 PM »
The alpha gene is on chromosome 16. The beta gene is on chromosome 11. They cannot change. Whatever you are born with is what you will always be. Alpha silent carrier mixed with beta minor will actually create a milder version of thal minor than if you are beta, alone. As long as you have been tested and alpha is ruled out, there is no danger at all. Any children from this relationship, would be no more than carriers themselves.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 03:36:11 PM »
Thank you........ it help

Offline Narendra

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 03:53:05 PM »
From your post, it is NOT clear whether you are Alpha Thalassemia Trait carrier or Beta Thalassemia carrier
Also, what is the status of partner. Is she Alpha Thal carrier or Beta thal carrier?
For Alpha thalassemia - genetic testing gives a clear picture.

Please clarify

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 12:25:55 AM »
I and my partner is alpha Thalassemia silent carrier. Test for beta is negative (Hba and Hbf is normal)

Offline Narendra

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 03:06:59 PM »
Can you give us more details? Was the testing done through DNA? Is it a single gene or multiple gene deletion on the Alpha Chromosome?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 04:33:51 PM »
This same thread is also on our Facebook thalpal group. The tests were blood tests, not DNA tests. Although both partners look like they are possible alpha silent carriers, I have recommended DNA testing, as coincidence of beta thal and alpha would not necessarily show up on the blood tests, and beta could mask that the alpha is actually 2 gene deletion rather than only one. To be safe, DNA testing should also be done.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk