First Time Pregnant

• 5 Replies
First Time Pregnant
« on: November 09, 2012, 12:41:21 PM »
Good Morning,

This is my first pregnancy. I am a carrier. I am currently on prenatals that do not contain iron. I don't have a specific question. I am only 6 weeks, and have not seen my doc yet (not bc I didn't want to, bc they don't see you until 8 weeks). So I am wishing for the next two weeks to zoom by so I may see the doc and possibly feel a little more at ease. Right now I am worried about miscarrying, as I am not sure how common this is for women with thal. It is something that worries me. In August, I had full blood done, and everything was as it should be, even my iron. I am getting blood work done again in two weeks. I am just wondering if there is any advice that may be offered to help myself maintain a healthy pregnancy and reduce the risk of miscarriage? I appreciate you taking time out to read this.

Re: First Time Pregnant
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 01:58:10 PM »
First Congratulations!
Second try not to worry I know easier said than done.
I have hem E beta O and I was worried when my wife got pregnant but our dr said because my wife was "healthy" we didn't have much to worry about & now my 13 year old son is as healthy as a horse and as strong as a ox.
I wish you luck and keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Narendra

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 03:58:17 PM »
Congratulations. You are at the right place. Make sure you enjoy your time and don't get stressed thinking about something you might NOT have an issue with.

There are numerous posts for thal (minor) and pregnancy at http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php/topic,3041.0.html but they can be too much to digest and might make you worry. Please read only those that are relevant to you. Most of the cases are normal so you don't want to be alarmed reading at some of the posts.

Do you know if your partner is a carrier or not? Also, what type of thalassemia carrier are you?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 01:06:21 AM »
Hi Janine,

In addition to your multi-vitamin, you should also be taking folic acid. Thal minors have found doses of 2-5 mg daily help them have successful pregnancies. Folic acid is essential anyway for all women of child bearing age, but because thal minors tend to have a large drop in hemoglobin level during pregnancy, the higher dosage is needed to help build the red blood cells that mother and baby will need. Because miscarriage is a concern for many thal minor women, I also recommend that women take 400 IU of natural vitamin E daily, as this helps to counter a clotting condition that sometimes occurs in thal pregnancies, that causes a reduced blood flow between uterus and placenta, causing miscarriage. We have had hundreds of reports from thal minor women who have miscarried, often 2 or more times. Even though minors are not recognized by the medical profession as being at risk for miscarriage, the amount of thal minor women who have reported miscarriages here is startling, so I do put much emphasis on these reports. I also put much weight into the reports from women who have taken high doses of folic acid and also taken vitamin E, and I am convinced it can make a difference in the rate of successful pregnancies.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 12:14:07 PM »
Thank you all. It's comforting to know I have a community that understands what I'm feeling and going through. I changed my last gynecologist because they had no clue what thalassemia was! I couldn't believe it, she googled it while I was in her office! And thank you Andy, I will most definitely be looking for those vitamins today! Any little bit helps! Thanks for the congratulations! I haven't even really told anyone yet, so it's exciting to have told you all!

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 02:07:30 PM »
Congratulations on your pregnancy. I have beta thal minor too and just wanted to offer you some reassurance with the fact that I have had two pregnancies and two healthy babies. I did suffer with a retained placenta at the end but I don't believe that had anything to do with thal minor at all. The only thing I would be cautious of is dr's prescibing you iron if your hb drops which is likely. Good luck and look after yourself.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk