Iron Chelating Wheat Grass

• 7 Replies
Iron Chelating Wheat Grass
« on: September 01, 2012, 06:02:12 PM »
Study Shows Iron Chelating Properties Of Wheat Grass Juice (ASCO 2009)
By Biblia Kim
Published: Jun 2, 2009 2:38 pm
Researchers from India presented a study examining the effects of wheat grass juice as an iron chelator in transfusion-dependent myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS) patients on May 29 at the 2009 American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) meeting.

Patients with MDS or other transfusion-dependent diseases are at risk for toxic iron build-up in cells, and possible organ damage. Iron chelators bind to excess iron for removal from the body.

The study included 20 transfusion-dependent MDS patients between the ages of 42 of 72 years (median 55 years). The participants drank 30 mL of fresh wheat grass juice daily for six months. Blood ferritin levels were, on average, reduced from 2,250 to 950 ng/mL. Ferritin, an iron-storage protein that prevents iron from forming free radicals, corresponds to blood iron levels and ranges from 12 to 300 ng/mL in healthy adult males and 12 to 150 ng/mL in females.

In addition, blood transfusion intervals lengthened and performance status of patients increased from 60 to 80 percent.

This trial followed a study with 200 intermediate thalassemia, or major chronic anemia, patients in which 80 percent who drank wheat grass juice became transfusion-independent.

In a dose-dependent comparison with deferoxamine (Desferal), a standard iron chelator, soluble wheat grass extract, collected from five to seven day old leaves, showed more effective iron chelating ability. In addition, analysis by a separation technique showed the crude extract to be rich in oxalic and malic acid, which possibly function in the dietary absorption of iron from the intestine.

Researchers encourage the use of wheat grass juice for patients requiring repeated blood transfusions.

For more information, please see abstract 7012 at the 2009 ASCO meeting Web site.

Photo by kthread on Flickr - some rights reserved.Tags: ASCO 2009 Meeting, Excess Iron, Iron Chelation Therapy, Myelodysplastic Syndromes, Research Summary, Wheat Grass Juice

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
Re: Iron Chelating Wheat Grass
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 06:48:46 PM »
Wow,

Thanks a lot ironjustice for pointing this out.

I, as a child took for a while and then I used to feel like vomit so we discontinued it.

I think if you guys really strengthen it's importance, than wheat grass tablets (Ayurveda/Ayurvedic) are available, so Andy, should tablets be preferred or taken if I don't prefer to drink it instead?

-P. 
Every child is special.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 07:22:06 PM »
I prefer the tablets. Wheatgrass juice is not so easy to take because of the taste, although I have read that it tastes OK mixed with pineapple juice. Tabs are fine with me.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 09:14:57 AM »
Hi all,

Pls advise - how should i give it to my 3 yr old daughter? where is wheat grass juice available and what qty should i try?

and can we get wheat grass tablets from ayurvedic stores over the counter? how much is enough and effective for 3 yr old?

thanks.
Rima

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 05:36:48 AM »
Hi all,

Pls advise - how should i give it to my 3 yr old daughter? where is wheat grass juice available and what qty should i try?

and can we get wheat grass tablets from ayurvedic stores over the counter? how much is enough and effective for 3 yr old?

thanks.
Rima
Wheat grass, talking about India, and that too specially about Gujarat where we both live, they are not available in stores or such. I found a guy/farmer who used to deliver it directly after plucking them out of the farm on daily basis. If you want to give juice, one small glass should be enough, or if tablets, one or two tabs a day should suffice as well.

-P.
Every child is special.

Offline weltigi

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 07:37:50 PM »
Hello,

I have never tried wheat grass is it really proven to reduce Iron levels?

Thanks,

Walid

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 04:03:45 PM »
I saw that on Facebook, too. I don't have any details of what the preparation is, so I cannot comment on that, but there should be no expectation that wheatgrass, alone will lower iron levels. It is a good supplemental product with value for the immune system and it also does bump Hb up a bit in those whose fetal hemoglobin production is active.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 11:43:13 AM »
Hi
I also have read about the Hb production and iron chelation ability of Wheat Grass. But in what dose wheat Grass Tablets (mg/kg body weight) should be taken for its affect..??

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk