Ayurveda and Thalassemia-My experience

• 5 Replies

Offline samyuktha

• We will Emerge as Winners in Life.
  • We will overcome all the hurdles in Life.
Ayurveda and Thalassemia-My experience
« on: November 11, 2012, 09:50:22 AM »
 Dear Friends,

I was planning to post about the Ayurveda treatment undergone by my daughter Samyuktha once it is completely successful but it did not go as per our desire so here Iam updating you with the treatment she had.
We came to know of an Ayurvedic doctor from Kerala.He has not advertised himself or his works that much.He is known for having treated Cancer patients completely.He has one condition that "chemotherapy" should not have been done to the patients and then only his medicines will work wonders.When i got the chance to meet him personally i mentioned about Samyuktha's health condition.He checked her "Nadi" , ayurveda term for our pulse readings.He said we can give it a try.We need to activate her brain cells and bone marrow so that her bone marrow should start producing her own RBC's .I was hesitant in the beginning but didnt want to leave any stones unturned for Thalassemia treatment.His medicines are in the form of powder which will be approx .5 to 1 gms approx.These medicines were given mixed with drops of honey,sometimes 20 ml warm water,20 ml warm milk.Samyuktha was asked to take these medicines early morning,evening and night with some specific routines (bath once in 3 days in boiled and then cooled water which was the tough task for me).Only vegetarian diet.No mangoes,brinjal and tamarind.Salt and oil intake was minimized.

Before starting the treatment on october 5th 2012, Samyuktha had her CBC values as below;
HB  -10.6 Gms/dl.
WBC -7800 cells/cumm
Platelets -1.7 lakhs/cu.mm
Total RBC - 3.6 million/cu.mm

After 2 weeks of medication,Samyuktha's CBC values on 22-10-2012 were;

HB - 11.0gm/dl
WBC - 8900
Platelets - 3.2
RBC - 3.8

on 2-11-2012,samyuktha's CBC values were;

HB - 12.8 gms/dl
WBC - 7600
PLATELETS - 2.6
RBC - 4.4

Creatinine - 0.6mg/dl
SGPT - 44.0 U/L

she was fine with out transfusion for almost 7 weeks.
we checked her SERUM FERRITIN on 3-11-2012 which was 2754ng/ml.It has dropped from previous value 3062ng/ml.

But....our happiness slowly vanished when i felt she was becoming pale all of a sudden though there was so signs of tiredness in her.
I checked her HB alone on 7-11-2012 and to my dismay i found her HB at 7.2  :wah
We arranged for transfusion and to my utter shock i found her pre transfusion HB in the hospital on 7-11-2012 at 5.8 gms/dl.
I was scared to death and totally shattered.She had 1 unit of PRBC yesterday.she is doing well now.Her vitals are fine.

she is doing well now.Her Ayurveda doctor asked me to call him after 10 days.

what made her RBC rise and what caused that sudden drop??

Andy,can you throw some light on this?

My regards to one and all.

cheers,
viji
S.Vijayalakshmi

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Ayurveda and Thalassemia-My experience
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 04:07:34 PM »
It may be that the treatment helped to extend the life of the transfused red blood cells, while also helping to raise the HbF level. If this is the case, then it would be worthwhile to continue for awhile to see if the effect continues. Please do transfuse when required and continue to keep a diary as you have already done. It would be very helpful if you were to get a hemoglobin electrophoresis test done for a baseline and then repeat it after the treatment to see if the HbF percentage has changed. There are various herbal treatments that may help to increase HbF, so this may be what is used here. If you find that continuing the treatment shows no benefit, then it should be discontinued.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 04:44:50 PM »
Very very interesting. However, I'm sad to see that she had low Hb and might have made her condition worst. You should never leave transfusion, try to enlong blood period by 2-3 days every time and you may notice the difference.

However, very curious and this made me cause interest in this. Keep us updated.

-P.
Every child is special.

Offline samyuktha

• We will Emerge as Winners in Life.
  • We will overcome all the hurdles in Life.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 02:20:11 PM »
Thank you for the advice Andy.
I spoke with the Ayurveda Doctor after the transfusion.He is trying to identify the cause for the drop in Hb.
He is planning to make medicines specifically for Samyuktha.What ever herb powder he gave previously were related to Bone marrow correction.
It will be a wonders of wonders if his medicine works!! No Chemo.

Hope he comes with the right solution by God's grace.

Lets continue our fight against Thalassemia.

God Bless.
Cheers,
Viji
S.Vijayalakshmi

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 07:39:40 PM »
Hello Viji, hope you are doing well.

I talked to my father the same day you posted this topic, and he asked me to ask you if that vaidya (Ayurvedic doctor) did not gave you some herb or medicine containing or having iron content, as my father told me that iron can also initially increase Hb but later it'll result in drop just like usual.

Please ask the doctor itself if he's well aware of the condition.

We hope for the best, fingers crossed.

-P.
Every child is special.

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 05:18:43 AM »
Hi VIji,

Any updates on this....Are you still giving Ayurveda medicines to her...?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk