Parents of thal major baby girl

• 19 Replies
Re: Parents of thal major baby girl
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 11:18:57 PM »
Thanks BabyI's mom and Cari. She has a cold and ear infection last few days so just been busy with that. Her hemoglobin dropped from 8.7 to 8.1 but the doc said it's not a big drop; that even variances in the lab draw can affect the numbers slightly. She turned 4 months this weekend :)
Keep your head up. God gives the hardest battles to his strongest soldiers.

Offline BabyI

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 05:38:41 AM »
Hope she is feeling better now. My baby is getting a bit cranky now. It's been 4 weeks since her transfusion (she is 6 mo. now). But I don't think she needs a mother transfusion yet. Are you giving your baby supplements or anything additional to milk?

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 08:40:14 AM »
Thank you. Yes, she's feeling better, beat the infection :) princessM was colicky from week 3 to week 14 of her life, so her crankiness now is almost unnoticed by us (she used to cry 9pm-1am every night). I had the hemo write a folic acid RX last checkup but have yet to start it; reason being is she was unable to tell me where I can get the liquid form.

Also, her fussiness diminished greatly when she started solids. I know it's a very controversial topic, whether to start baby on them before 6 months or not, but I discussed her behavior greatly with the pediatrician and he agreed that it was time to start them. I know it was the right decision for her; for the first time she's waking up from her naps not screaming in hunger. She also sleeps in 2-3 hour blocks at night which is a huge leap for her (and has allowed myself to regain some sanity lol)

Has BabyI started solids yet? When did they say they will transfuse her next?

Offline BabyI

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 04:08:32 PM »
I was thinking about solids too but wasn't sure since I want her to have breastmilk only for as long as possible. Do you breastfeed or formula? What solids did you give her?

I have been giving her the Folic acid tablets. My doctor told me to crush it between spoons and just add some breastmilk or water (I do bm and occasionally water). And then I spoon feed with those soft baby spoons. You can try that too.

I think we may do another transfusion next week. Lets see how it goes.

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 04:32:11 AM »
She's been on formula from the beginning. Certainly didn't plan it but it ended up that way. She has eaten rice cereal, oatmeal, pears, and squash so far. Loves mealtime and actually thinks everytime we eat we should share with her :)
I totally understand your desire to give her BM only for as long as possible. If I was BF I would probably do the same. It was just the behavior that prompted me to start solids. She was literally staring at our food and opening her mouth. Besides the fussiness and night waking, the pedi said these are big clues also.
Good luck with the next transfusion. I hope BabyI will be happy and smiling after she gets it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk