New here... hi everyone!

• 1 Replies

Offline sarahbl124

New here... hi everyone!
« on: January 22, 2013, 02:06:33 AM »
Hi!
I just wanted to introduce myself.. my name is Sarah and I'm 26 years old.
I've known since I was probably 10 or so that I have Beta Thalassemia Minor, but beyond the facts that it could make me fatigued and pale, and that I shouldn't have kids with somebody who was also a carrier, I had absolutely no information.
When I got pregnant with my son in 2010 I started doing some internet research, and after my son was born I was finally able to have a short consultation with a hematologist and started to get a little bit better understanding of Thal Minor.
Now I am pregnant again, and still searching for more information.
I have to say that I am amazed at the lack of knowledge in the medical community about Thalassemia.  With my General Practitioner and my OBGYN I have had to educate THEM with my limited knowledge about the condition.  So I was VERY excited when I stumbled across this site this morning!
I am greatly looking forward to being able to read and learn from people with actual experience and knowledge, so that when I do need to educate my doctors I will be able to be armed with more than just a crude understanding of it.
Thank you!!

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
Re: New here... hi everyone!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 05:55:41 AM »
Hi!
I just wanted to introduce myself.. my name is Sarah and I'm 26 years old.
I've known since I was probably 10 or so that I have Beta Thalassemia Minor, but beyond the facts that it could make me fatigued and pale, and that I shouldn't have kids with somebody who was also a carrier, I had absolutely no information.
When I got pregnant with my son in 2010 I started doing some internet research, and after my son was born I was finally able to have a short consultation with a hematologist and started to get a little bit better understanding of Thal Minor.
Now I am pregnant again, and still searching for more information.
I have to say that I am amazed at the lack of knowledge in the medical community about Thalassemia.  With my General Practitioner and my OBGYN I have had to educate THEM with my limited knowledge about the condition.  So I was VERY excited when I stumbled across this site this morning!
I am greatly looking forward to being able to read and learn from people with actual experience and knowledge, so that when I do need to educate my doctors I will be able to be armed with more than just a crude understanding of it.
Thank you!!
Hi Sarah,

Welcome to Thalpal! :)

I'm sure you will find all the necessary information and advise that you want.

Ask many questions and get your doubts cleared.

-P.
Every child is special.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk