Thalassemia and muscles

• 6 Replies

Offline Rob

Thalassemia and muscles
« on: February 02, 2013, 12:12:34 PM »
Hi there,
Name is Rob, 49 from Holland. Thal beta for me, Thal beta for my daughter and Thal beta voor my son.
We all have our own type of nasty daily pains and so forth. For me it seems that my muscles in both arms and hands are giving more pain en less strength. I am not shore of a connection between thalassemia and musclepain. Does anyone know of this conention.

Fot the statistics, we are the only known family in Holland with three north europian type of persons in one family who has thalessemia beta, look as we won the jackpot

« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 10:03:12 PM by Rob »

Offline theresainadelaide

Re: Thalassemia and muscles
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 01:06:56 AM »
I can relate to this. I suffer from muscle soreness too and the doctors so far have not been able to explain what is causing the pain
Cheers
Theresa

Offline CUSO

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 08:24:44 PM »
I have not noticed this. I am a bodybuilder and always lift weights and my muscles have always felt great! Maybe it is because I lift that they feel good. I have always had a slight endurance issue though. I was always last when it came to running. I was in the navy and wanted to be a navy seal about 18 years ago, 20 pull-ups, 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups no problem, I came in last on every run, I had the heart, just cursed with thal. Try lifting weights. The best program I ever tried was Body Beast. Also if you are over 30 have your testosterone tested. That is a huge reason for soreness

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 06:10:46 AM »
I have not noticed this. I am a bodybuilder and always lift weights and my muscles have always felt great! Maybe it is because I lift that they feel good. I have always had a slight endurance issue though. I was always last when it came to running. I was in the navy and wanted to be a navy seal about 18 years ago, 20 pull-ups, 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups no problem, I came in last on every run, I had the heart, just cursed with thal. Try lifting weights. The best program I ever tried was Body Beast. Also if you are over 30 have your testosterone tested. That is a huge reason for soreness
Not a minor, but thal major, but I wanted to second this.

I've started weight lifting/training for about 2 months now, to be specific, started gymming around a week ago.

When I train, I feel great. I feel the showers of new energy levels. Lifting weights make you stronger. I would suggest anyone to do so, no matter even if you lift light.

I was detected with Osteoporosis back in 2009 and could barely walk and was drowned with terrible pain. I was okay after it, though never as good as before. And now I think weight training will only give me my old fit body back, if not, even more fitter than ever.

Don't lose hope!

-P.
Every child is special.

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 10:00:45 PM »
I am a  Beta Thal Intermedia and I don't have the muscle pain.  Have you had your Vit. D levels checked?  If you have low levels, muscle pain can be a symptom.  You might need to take a supplement if you are low.

Joan

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 12:43:10 AM »
Joan's advice is spot on. Vitamin Deficiency is the most common vitamin deficiency on earth and over half the world's population is deficient, because we do not get adequate sunlight. Deficiency exacerbates many of the problems found in thalassemia. Aim for a minimum level of 35 and strive for at least 50. It has become routine to treat deficiency with doses of 50-60,000 IU once weekly. Low dose supplements are virtually useless. In two years of taking 5000 IU daily, my level went from 37 to 38. Tiredness, fatigue, muscle aches, low immune systems and depression are just some of the symptoms of deficiency.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 06:16:55 AM »
Joan's advice is spot on. Vitamin Deficiency is the most common vitamin deficiency on earth and over half the world's population is deficient, because we do not get adequate sunlight. Deficiency exacerbates many of the problems found in thalassemia. Aim for a minimum level of 35 and strive for at least 50. It has become routine to treat deficiency with doses of 50-60,000 IU once weekly. Low dose supplements are virtually useless. In two years of taking 5000 IU daily, my level went from 37 to 38. Tiredness, fatigue, muscle aches, low immune systems and depression are just some of the symptoms of deficiency.
I guess I can relate this now to some of my recent mild to little severe back pains. My D level just 3 days before reads 26. Maybe that's the problem, I'm trying to curb that very hard though. I take Rocaltrol regularly and a 60,000 IU sachet every 2 weeks or so.

-P.
Every child is special.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk