Bone Marrow Transplant of Shaheera Faheem

• 114 Replies
Re: Bone Marrow Transplant of Shaheera Faheem
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2019, 06:41:46 AM »
my 2 year old kid is admitted at hospital for BMT and today its post transplant day 19.. yesterday his WBC was 6000 and Hb 8.1.. today his WBC fell to 4000 and Hb 7.6 and require blood transfusion. Doctors started Cyclosporine 3 days ago but he is not taking this medicine orally at all. yesterday we tried it by mixing it with Yogurt and then he took it with ease.. however thid morning with these new results i am really afraid that it might be due to Yogurt.. plz guide me..

« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2019, 03:53:35 AM »
I would like to know about your daughter condition now.. Did you opt for Second BMT?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2019, 10:49:48 PM »
Kaleem, has there been any improvement? If problems persist, try contacting Dr Sodani for advice.
Email to info@curethalassemia.org

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2019, 04:58:45 AM »
Andy.. today is our day + 27.. His Hb rise to 9.2 from 9.0 yesterday and WBC 4.2 a bit lower than yesterday.. however his platelets drop from 25000 to 11000 this morning.. he is getting platelets transfusion today.. he also got two doses of steroid yesterday.. he caught a diarrhea 3 days ago and still persistent.. he was active throughout the process until 2 days ago.. he didnt eat anything for 2 days.. vomiting and diarrhea.. doctors were constantly insisting for oral medication which he was reluctant.. finally we started mixing medicine with juices which caused diarrhea.. we never feed him juice since his birth... now he is dull and sleeping most of the time..

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2019, 10:10:44 PM »
It's still very early post BMT. Patience is required as his bone marrow begins to work again.
Andy

« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2019, 03:44:32 AM »
Andy.. i would like to know whether we can give him yogurt or not? secondly is it fine to mic Cyclosporine medicine with Yogurt? thanks a lot

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2019, 10:06:19 PM »
The only foods that you need to talk to your doctor about while cyclosporine is being given are foods rich in potassium. They can be eaten, but not in excess. Yogurt is fine and helps restore the intestinal bacteria that many meds kill.
Andy

« Reply #112 on: January 27, 2019, 01:37:13 AM »
we will mix cyclosporine with Yogurt .. thanks a lot Andy.. actually he is not taking this medicine with Milk or with Juice.. actually on Neural it is mentioned that it can be taken with milk, chocolate milk and orange juice.. however nothing is mentioned about Yogurt..

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2019, 07:31:43 PM »
Yogurt is a milk product, and is fine to eat. Taking probiotics while taking antibiotics will help prevent complete depletion of intestinal bacteria. My own experience this past year showed me how important it is to do so. I was on IV antibiotics, followed by a 10 day course of a combination of antibiotics. My prior experience was that I would have problems for many months after taking antibiotics. Taking the probiotics, including yogurt, greatly reduced the problems I had after taking the very strong antibiotics.
Andy

« Reply #114 on: January 31, 2019, 10:28:40 PM »
thank you so much Andy for sharing your experience.. we are still at hospital.. my kid shifted from BMT unit to another private ward as he got a severe diarrhea.. doctor said that it is due to gastro intestine GVHD... steroid dose was increase firstly from 10 mg per day to 15 mg per day and yesterday it was increased further to 26 mg per day.. his body weight is 13.5 kg.. we are waiting for his diarrhea to get cured and then will get disscharged from hospital.. its day 46 at hospital and day plus 36 after BMT...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk