New to Thal minor - lives in Northern California

• 2 Replies
New to Thal minor - lives in Northern California
« on: March 18, 2013, 11:05:28 PM »
I'm am very excited that I found this forum!! I've spent hours today reading many posts here.

My diagnosis for Thalassemia is less than a year old, but I've had abnormal results for awhile. The dr just hinted.. like something might be wrong, but didn't acted until the lab noted it in the report. Anyhow, I've seen an oncologist, but she wasn't that helpful and no treatment was given.

In addition, I've been hypothyroid for 10+ years taking 0.1 MG daily.

I find that I get tired easily, poor focus, have a hard time losing weight, don't sleep well (@ 6 hr/night & my hair falls out pretty easily. I'm looking for a list of vitamins and/or supplements that I should start now. Also, a list of food to avoid.  I'm told soy isn't good to take with synthroid for example. I've also just relocated to Northern California, so if there are good drs in the area, that should speed a resolution to my health issues. At this time, I don't have copies of my labs. (Packed in the POD), but I'll post when they are available.

I'm not sure how this two conditions make the other worse, but any suggestions for me is greatly appreciated!

Again.. THANK YOU to everyone that shares their stories of success and failures, so we can all make healthier choices.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
Re: New to Thal minor - lives in Northern California
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 06:31:12 AM »
Hi mak,

Welcome to Thalpal!

Your symptoms are that of any other thal minor, no wonders. I could give you some advice regarding supplements which might boost your metabolism, activity levels and may help you lead an active and healthier life ahead.

Natural Vitamin E (400 IU daily), B-Complex (B1,B6,B12), Vitamin D, Folic Acid (400 mcg) are some standard supplements.

Also, have you got your D levels checked? Low D levels often lead to fatigue and stress. Above 35 levels of D is advised.

You will find some great advise here on Thalpal, check out Diet/Nutrients/Supplements section, you'll find many related topics.

Regarding food, avoid junk food, especially avoid empty calories. Make sure your diet is rich in nutritious food. Also try to consume anywhere between 500-1000mg of Vitamin C either through diet or supplements. Some natural sources of vitamin C rich foods are oranges, lemon, lime, etc. Vitamin C also helps you fight with fatigue and helps absorb iron from your food.

Best,

-P.
Every child is special.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: New to Thal minor - lives in Northern California
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 02:55:36 PM »
I want to emphasize what Pratik said about vitamin D. Absolutely get your level checked. It should be at least 35. Low D exacerbates the problems of thal minor.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk