New to this.... looking for some help, suggestions, anything

• 7 Replies

Offline RaggedyAnn

New to this.... looking for some help, suggestions, anything
« on: March 27, 2013, 09:28:06 PM »
I have to say that I have not been dx'd with this yet, I am guessing that I would be minor but don't know which one. I was looking for a new GP and the one I saw this past Monday entertained an idea that I never thought of but heard of. When I explained to her that at about my preteen years I was told I had borderline anemia but when ever I took iron supplements they never helped. With my first child by about the 6/7mth I was so exhausted that the doc told me to add an extra iron. A few weeks later I was told to do it again (I guess these three doc's never speak to each other). I didn't do it but ended up being off work at 7mths.The day after my daughter was born I was so sick at the thought of red meat I didn't want to look at it for months. At the same time my baby developed what turned out to be erythroblastopenia of childhood. Needless to say that was traumatic and being still exhausted made things so much worse.
I remember as a child not being able to run around and play like everyone else. I couldn't go up steps without being out of breath. I did have cravings for ice but the older I get I haven't felt the need. The doc did say that I have paleness on the inside of my bottom eyelids. I feel it. I have recently had what I thought were gall bladder issues and they found a small cyst on my liver. I have had heart palpations that I can remember at about 20yrs old and I  hate them.
I need to stop because my computer is not responding well, but I hope t but I do want to say that myethnic background is France, Spain,  Haiti, Germany and Native  American Indian.
Hoping to find what I am looking for......

Offline Berlian

Re: New to this.... looking for some help, suggestions, anything
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 10:30:25 PM »
The best way to know what kind
you have thalassemia minor is
through testing.

Never Give Up!

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 12:41:49 AM »
Hi RaggedyAnn,

I would need to see some test results from a complete blood count to give you any answer. A hemoglobin electrophoresis test would also be very helpful.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline RaggedyAnn

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 12:58:11 AM »
I understand. I have to wait a couple of weeks to get blood work done, but as soon as I find out the results I will let you all know. I have thought about taking the vitamins mentioned so I can get energy but I thought it may mess up the test results if I did. I did start some new depression/PMDD meds that I hope will bring me some focus and energy, as well she gave me some acid reducer meds to try in strength I never knew they made, what a difference that has made.
I hope I'm not wasting anyone's time with this, it just sounds so much like me that it has to be it. Thank you for your responses.....

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 03:08:21 AM »
Supplements won't affect the test results. It does sound like it could possibly be thal minor, and if the CBC suggests thal minor, with a low MCV and MCH, the electrophoresis test should then also be done, as that will usually reveal beta thal minors.
Andy

Offline RaggedyAnn

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 04:18:54 PM »
Thank you for telling me that supplements won't affect the blood work.
I have seen some posts about the supplements and any suggestions for good supplements would be appreciated.
 Also, how do you know (other than blood work) if it's alpha or beta and the difference between them?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 04:44:40 PM by RaggedyAnn »

Offline RaggedyAnn

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 07:44:49 PM »
I also had another question that involved any issues that would include whole body aches with chills. Lasting for a few hours. Is that something that can happen? It doesn't happen often but it feels flu like and my body just hurts. I end up under as many blankets I can get and cover myself from head to toe. Just my body feels this way. I have never checked for a fever as this has happened for years.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 11:40:17 PM »
Beta minor can usually be detected by the CBC and electrophoresis. Alpha isn't always identified easily and if suspected, a DNA test may be needed to diagnose it.

Poor circulation can cause the mentioned symptoms of chills and aches, and this is a characteristic of thal minor. However, it is also symptomatic of other anemias, vitamin D deficiency and thyroid disease. I encourage all to get their vitamin D level checked, as it is low in over half the world population. If low, get the level up to at least 35. Natural vitamin E can help improve circulation and vitamin C can promote blood vessel health.
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk