I'm new....help???

• 10 Replies

Offline Jules

I'm new....help???
« on: April 21, 2008, 05:35:56 PM »
I don't know where to start.....I was dx'd with thalassemia minor many years ago.  In fact, I've undergone the hemoglobin electrophoresis test several times, since any and every doctor I encounter looks at me as if I've grown horns when I tell them about this.  (I have blonde hair and blue eyes, and for some reason, doctors don't seem to believe me when I tell them about the thalassemia minor.  They just tell me to take iron.)

Bottom line is, I feel like *&%$ ALL THE TIME.  (I feel really bad complaining after reading about Lisa, but I figure that's why this forum is here.)  At any rate, I want to take charge of this, and most doctors pooh-pooh me when I ask if this is what is making me so tired.

Can anyone comment on my most recent CBC results?:

WBC - 9.6
RBC - 5.21
HGB - 9.9
HCT - 32.6
MCV - 63.0
MCH - 18.9
MCHC - 30.2
Platelets - 388
RDW - 14.7
Neu. - 76.5
Lym. - 9.6
Mon. - 7.1
Eos. - 5.9
Bas. - 0.9

I believe most of this is consistent with the thalassemia minor, but are these values low enough to be making me feel the way I do?  (Like I can't even put one foot in front of the other...)

Also, the low lymphocyte level has me concerned.  The range is said to be 25.0 to 50.0 thousand.  Mine is 9.6!  Of course, I've been all over the internet trying to diagnose myself (since my doctor won't call me back), and I'm really freaked out because everything lists AIDS as the #1 cause for low lymphocytes!  (Followed by CANCER.)

Could the low level of lymphocytes be related to the thalassemia minor?

Should I see a hematologist?  Can anything be done to boost my hemoglobin (and related) so that I will have more energy?

The lowest my hemoglobin level has been (that I know of) was 8.0.

I'm sorry if this all seems disjointed.  Any input/help is very much appreciated.  My husband blames my lack of energy on depression, but I take Prozac regularly, so there is not much else to be done in that regard.

THANK YOU!

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: I'm new....help???
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 03:43:54 AM »
Hi Julia,

It is possible that the low lymphocytes are related to prozac. It is a known side effect in some people. This would also mean you would be more susceptible to infections which would also affect how you feel. Because of the low lymphocytes, you may also want to have liver function tests run, as the fluorine based drugs, including prozac, have been shown to cause drug induced hepatitis in some rare cases. Liver function tests can rule out this possibility. Your hemoglobin level is on the very low end of thal minor and may explain much about why you feel so lousy. You may benefit by taking folic acid, B complex and wheatgrass in some form. You might also consider the supplement, resveratrol which is known to raise hemoglobin levels in some people. I would recommend that you read the thread about supplements at http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=118.0;highlight=vitamin+mineral
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Jules

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 10:18:41 AM »
Andy, thank you for your response.  I didn't know that about the Prozac.  But it's either be sane and have a messed up liver, or be crazy and have a good liver.  Oh well, I digress...this isn't a depression forum.

Just one more question....do you think it would behoove me to see a hematologist, or would he/she think I'm just a hypochondriac?  Does this problem (thalassemia minor) warrant a visit to a hematologist?  Or, do only people with cancer related to the blood see hematologists?

Thanks, you're the best.....
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 04:48:26 PM by Jules »

Kathy11

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 11:09:30 PM »
Welcome Jules.
I would like to tell you that I  undestand  fully well and it is clear to me  what you are talking about.
 you are not a hypochondriac.

Many doctors just don't know much about this disorder.

Here on this website we have some of us that suffers from depression and we are always ready to hear what you have to say ,so please .dont feel indifference.

this is where you can aquire good learning and assistance in how to go about managing your day to day living with the illness.
I have a mess up liver still I believe it a lesser of two evil.
 such is life not easy but manageable.
Take care and don't be discourage you have found a group of caring. kind and generous people.
 :empathy
Kathy

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 11:19:05 PM »
Hi Julia,

I would agree that you should see a hematologist based on your low Hb. However, don't expect miracles. Most doctors still have the outdated notion that thal minor has no symptoms. If a doctor tells you it's in your head, tell them to try living with an Hb of under 10. Be blunt if you have to because your Hb is nowhere near normal. I do believe you can do the most for yourself by having a good nutritious diet and taking needed supplements. I swear by wheatgrass as a way to boost energy and so importantly, the immune system. I would like you to take a look at Dr Reynold's newsletter at
http://www.drwheatgrass.com/info/newsletters/letter_mar06

I don't get anything in return for promoting his products but I do believe they are very good products that do make a difference in one's health. Even a small boost in Hb can make one feel much better, so please consider it.
Andy

Offline Jules

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 06:46:17 PM »
Thanks Andy and Kathy for your replies.

I have an appt. with a hematologist next Friday, May 2nd. 

If a hematologist blows me off, then there is no doctor who can (or will) help me.

I will look into the wheatgrass (can you smoke it?  JK) and other supplements you mention.

Can everything be found at GNC?  Or, is "Dr. Reynolds" the only place to get the wheatgrass?

Thanks again......

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 06:57:12 PM »
Wheatgrass is available in several forms. Fresh juice which tastes like a mowed lawn, tablets or capsules containing the compressed grass, and extract, such as what Dr Reynolds offers. The tablets and extract are the more popular ways of taking it. The tablets and extract are easily found in online nutrition sites. Kamut grass tabs are also available. Kamut is basically non-hybrid wheat.
Andy

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 05:06:43 AM »
Hi,

:welcome to the site

I will look into the wheatgrass (can you smoke it?  JK) and other supplements you mention.

That would be great! wouldn't it? Imagine, worlds first HEALTHY CIGARETTES "Wheat Puffs" endorsed by DOCTORS :laugh
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 10:07:22 AM »
Hi Julia,

Welcome  :hugfriend there is a link to another wheatgrass tabs website, www.puregreenfoods.com .

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Maako

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 09:52:48 AM »
Hi Julia, welcome :welcome

maako
Maako

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 01:32:32 AM »
I'm have been recently diagnosed with Sickle Cell Beta Thalassemia. I have had it all my life (54), but not diagnosed. My primary sent me to a hemotogist. They are still working on a treatment plan, at least I & the doctors now know what the problem is. So I would say go to see a hemotogist. Good luck!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk