Beta Thalassemia minor and Hb S Trait

• 4 Replies
Beta Thalassemia minor and Hb S Trait
« on: May 06, 2013, 03:20:42 PM »
iii, all. This is my first post. Hope you all help me. I am Mukesh from India. My wife is pregnant and now she is in her 25th weeks. Her Hb Electropherosis report says Hb A = 9.32%, Hb F = 28%, Hb A2 = 2.6, Hb S = 60%. My report for Hb Electropherosis is normal. My Father-in-law's Hb Electropherosis report says that he is a case of Beta Thal Minor (Hb A = 85.60, Hb F < 1, Hb A2 = 4.60, PCV = 36.20, MCV = 77.7, MCH = 22.9, RDW = 16.10). My mother-in-law's Hb Electropherosis says that she is a case of Hb S Trait (Hb A = 51.50, Hb F = 1.60, Hb A2 = 2.80,  Hb S = 38.60, RDW = 18.10). I want to clear the following doubts (if anyone can help me):-
(i) Going through the reports of my wife, and her parents my wife is suffering from what ?
(ii) As my reports are normal, what are the chances that we can have a healthy baby free from B Thal/Sickle?
(iii) Is there any chances that my baby (going to be) will have any major form of the disease like Beta Thal Major or Sickle Cell Anemia/Disease?
Thanking You and in anticipation of your replies !

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Beta Thalassemia minor and Hb S Trait
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 05:08:06 PM »
Hi,

1) Your wife has sickle cell beta thalassemia, as she carries both genes. The thal is a beta+ variety, as seen from the presence of normal HbA. This is not as severe a condition as it would be if the thal gene was beta zero.
2) Your child will carry either thalassemia or sickle cell disease, but cannot carry both, as the mother will provide only one of the beta globin genes. You will provide a normal beta gene. There is no possibility of sickle cell beta thal in the child.
3) No, since the child can only carry one defective beta globin gene, the child will be either a thal carrier or a sickle cell carrier.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 05:18:14 PM »
Thanks a lot Andy sir. My child (goin to be) will carry either beta thal or Hb S trait. Felt relaxed to hear this. but sir,
(i) Are there zero possibility that my child will be free from beta thal carrier and Hb S Trait?
(ii) At what age of my child (goin to be) i can go for a screening test for beta thal/Hb S-Trait? What tests are need to be done?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 06:10:05 PM »
Your child will definitely carry either thalassemia or sickle cell, because the mother carries both. Both conditions affect the beta globin gene and since there are two of these genes, the mother will pass one, but only one, onto the children. There should be a hemoglobin electrophoresis test after the birth. This should tell you if the child carries sickle cell.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 03:19:32 PM »
Thanx a lot Mr. Andy !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk