Blood Transfusion by John Porter

• 5 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Blood Transfusion by John Porter
« on: May 30, 2013, 11:24:15 PM »
From John Porter Blood Transfusion (The entire PowerPoint presentation is attached to this post).

Recommendations complicated by the use of different anticoagulant-preservative solutions.
For CPD-A units with a haematocrit of approximately 75%, the volume per transfusion is usually 10-15 ml/kg, administered over 3-4 hours.
Units with additive solutions may have haematocrits of 60-70%, and therefore larger volumes are needed to administer the same red cell mass as delivered by CPD-A units with a higher haematocrit
For most patients, it is usually easier to avoid these differences in red cell concentration by ordering a certain number of units (e.g. 1 or 2) rather than a particular volume of blood.
Younger children may require a fraction of a unit to avoid under- or over-transfusion.
Patients with cardiac failure or very low initial haemoglobin levels should receive smaller amounts of red cells at slower rates of infusion.

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Re: Blood Transfusion by John Porter
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 09:53:09 PM »
Dear Andy,

What is the formula used when calculating the amount of blood that a patient receives in order to maintain an acceptable Hb level ?

Also, what is the difference between Leukocyte depleted and Leukocyte poor blood ?

Thank you and Best regards,
Shastri & Alicia.

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 10:29:54 AM »
Hi Andy,

I am new to the forum! Thank you for accepting me. Reading Prof Porter blood transfusion requirements presentation , made me a bit confused, at one point he states:
Evidence that maintenance of higher hemoglobin levels does require more blood .

–transfusion requirements of 14 French patients were directly proportional to  mean Hb and nearly doubled between 9.6 and 13.4 g/dL (Brunengo 1986 ) etc

Any input on this? My believe was that if hb is high you receive less units of blood  consequently if low hb, more units?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 04:34:53 PM »
It requires more blood initially to reach an Hb goal, but after that it should not, unless some factor like an antibody reaction is causing the blood to be destroyed faster. I don't know of any patients kept at an Hb above 11, so it may require more blood if an Hb >12 is the goal, although that seems to be an unrealistic goal.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 09:58:05 AM »
Thank you, Andy:)
 I am going to ask Prof Porter as well at our next appt .
xxx

Offline Emby

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 12:36:33 PM »
Another excellant article. Thank you Andy for sharing.

I have just read the whole document but i need help in understanding some of it... :wah

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk