Beta Thal Minor and Hormone Imbalance

• 3 Replies
Beta Thal Minor and Hormone Imbalance
« on: July 13, 2013, 05:12:01 PM »
Hi. I'm new here still trying to figure out how everything works here. But I'm looking for advice from anyone. I've been dealing with hormonal issue for a few years now and I'm trying to puzzle my symptoms together but its nearly impossible to explain everything. I've had a lot of blood work done so far. Here are some things that are questionable. I have a high total and free testosterone level, DHEA level, and Aldosterone level. My TSH is at 3.76 with my free and total T4 borderline low. Also, recently, my LDL's have gone way high - which is very surprising because I eat a healthy diet. My T3 is in range. My ferritin is really low at a 13. Which explain the hair loss as a woman. However, my iron, TIBC, UIBC, %saturation Iron are all well in range. My cortisol is normal AM levels at 17.4 range : 6.2-19.4. I have my thyroglobulin AB and Peroxidase numbers in range--so unlikely indication of Hashimotos. My LH and FSH are about 1:1 more or less with a normal progesterone. My Vit D is at a 21.0---insufficient. B12 is a 368---on the lower side. Insulin levels are fine as well as glucose. I'm just trying to figure out how I should treat this. My endo hasn't been much help. I was on Birth control in high school which made everything worse. Metformin my second year of college. I've tried crazy diets along with a lot of exercise. I've gained at least 25 Lb last 2 years. I've always been quite thin. But, lately I've been getting a lot of acne, hair on my chin, chronic depression, somewhat swelling in the legs, ridiculous hair loss, weight gain on my abdomen and hips, tingling in the hands, lack of mental clarity. I'm taking thyroid supplements from a bovine source (nutrimeds). But I feel like the meds aren't working because my ferritin is so low. My endo has prescribed me with aldactone 100mg and bc again for hyperaldosteronism now. If anyone can help me to clear up my situation or find me some clarity I'd really appreciate it. Oh, and I forgot to mention, I too have beta thal minor with a Hb A2 of 4.6 Hb of 12.1. Thank you !!

Re: Beta Thal Minor and Hormone Imbalance
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 05:26:07 PM »
I also forgot to mention that my first year of college I went through a period of anorexia/bulimia, which I've discovered is quite common with women having hormone imbalances. I also know if I want to heal, the first place to start is the gut. Do to the purging aspect of my previous condition, there may be a lack of sufficient microflora or digestive enzymes to feed my body, which can explain the slow decrease of B12 or ferritin? Im considering taking digestive enzymes along with some probiotics even though my bowls are fairly regular. I just could not be absorbing sufficient nutrients from food which is leading to me losing hair, acne, gaining weight, thyroid imbalance. But I was diagnosed with pcos in high school, but now my endo says I don't have it since I have somewhat normal periods. She now says I have hyperadrogenism and aldactone along with bc will help. Idk I feel like all these meds are just putting bandages over the real issue. I've also heard that myo inositol and folic acid is good for lowering testosterone and normalizing the menstrual cycle. I want to keep taking the bovine thyroid supplement though. Idk just throwing some stuff out there lol   

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 06:01:56 PM »
Hi Zainy,

My first advice is that you need to correct the vitamin D level as quickly as you can. I don't think your other issues can be properly examined as long as your D is so low, as it is involved in so many different bodily functions, and how well nutrients are utilized by the body.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 03:03:17 AM »
Sounds good. I'll be sure to start taking a supplement. Thanks a lot Andy! Also is there any way I can get my ferritin levels up? I don't want to start taking iron sups because I'm not iron deficient

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk