Bodybuilding and thal minor?

• 8 Replies
Bodybuilding and thal minor?
« on: September 05, 2013, 11:55:05 PM »
Hi all! I'm a thalassemic minor and i'm one of that who has always felt all the sides of this genetic problem (like tiredness, mild anemy, lack of aerobic resistance ecc.). I've always fought against this problems but when i started 4 years ago to try to build some muscle through anaerobic training done 3 times a week i felt worse. The training isn't something special, it is composed by only 3 sessions a week of 40 minutes each with a periodical week of stop, but considering that muscular results aren't good and that i'm always tired after all this years i'm thinking to reduce it to 2 sessions because, maybe, thalassemic people aren't made for a normal kind of training or muscle building process. Do you have some tips? Thanks!

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Bodybuilding and thal minor?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 02:42:03 AM »
Hi Dean8,

Are you taking any supplements?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 06:51:33 AM »
Our one member Cuso (who recently got his spleen removed), a thal minor, is doing well with bodybuilding as ready by his posts. He built as high as around 245 lbs I believe.

It's possible, but yes, fatigue will be a little problem but that shouldn't stop you. Taking few supplements along with the key supplements like protein shakes, etc will definitely help to recover faster.

-P.
Every child is special.

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 06:24:37 AM »
Hi Dean8,

Are you taking any supplements?

Hy Andy, i used whey protein until 2011, 30 grams a day to reach the quote of 110 grams of proteins that i needed (1.5 g x kg of bodyweight). Now i eat only foods.

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 06:28:06 AM »
Our one member Cuso (who recently got his spleen removed), a thal minor, is doing well with bodybuilding as ready by his posts. He built as high as around 245 lbs I believe.

It's possible, but yes, fatigue will be a little problem but that shouldn't stop you. Taking few supplements along with the key supplements like protein shakes, etc will definitely help to recover faster.

-P.

Hi Pratik, 245 lbs in what shape? Has he an high bodyfat? I ask this because It's a big weight and i think noone reached it at a low bodyfat in a natural way (without aas)

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 01:06:09 AM »
Dean, for more information about which supplements help thal minor check out the post at

http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php/topic,4890.msg46774.html#msg46774

Cuso was 245 from working out. I assume low body fat. His concern was what a splenectomy would mean as far as his workouts. Other than the time he was recovering, I don't think he's had to cut back. I might add that being in really good physical shape seemed to help his recovery progress quickly.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 06:10:31 AM »
Dean, I assume a low BF. He was sort of intense at workout and I believe he had a very good figure at 245 lbs, sort of what you expect to see from an intense gym hitter.

And I agree with what Andy said. Being in good shape did eased his recovery it seems.

-P.
Every child is special.

Offline CUSO

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 07:01:43 PM »
hey guys. I am getting back in BB shape. I have a low body fat. I was ripped 245 size 35 waist before surgery before surgery. I am now hitting it hard. however I am 40 so it wont come back easily. I currently weigh 219 size 34 waist. endurance in snot my thing buy bodybuilding is. 2 scoops of ON weigh prior then 1 scoop of ON 2:1:1 with creatine post. eat clean, paleo if possible. but I do have genetics that make getting large muscles easy. it has been tough because I had my gallbladder removed as well as my spleen. so getting the diet right has been difficult. I will never see the mass that I had before, but I will be happy at 220. here is a pic of me at 236, 2 days before my surgery in feb. I had been losing weigh and putting fat on because I was quite sick. I was bigger and leaner when I was 245. pic is not my best shape, just showing you that I carry 245 well
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 07:13:02 PM by CUSO »

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 05:05:51 PM »
hey guys. I am getting back in BB shape. I have a low body fat. I was ripped 245 size 35 waist before surgery before surgery. I am now hitting it hard. however I am 40 so it wont come back easily. I currently weigh 219 size 34 waist. endurance in snot my thing buy bodybuilding is. 2 scoops of ON weigh prior then 1 scoop of ON 2:1:1 with creatine post. eat clean, paleo if possible. but I do have genetics that make getting large muscles easy. it has been tough because I had my gallbladder removed as well as my spleen. so getting the diet right has been difficult. I will never see the mass that I had before, but I will be happy at 220. here is a pic of me at 236, 2 days before my surgery in feb. I had been losing weigh and putting fat on because I was quite sick. I was bigger and leaner when I was 245. pic is not my best shape, just showing you that I carry 245 well
That's really a nice shape. :)
Every child is special.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk