Question about MRI

• 4 Replies
Question about MRI
« on: October 29, 2013, 02:05:03 PM »
Dear friends, I have some questions i hope you can help me with;

Do you use anesthesia on the children in the MRI (T2*) examination or by ferriscan? (we have not ferriscan available in our country). How long time does it take approx?

Is it necessary to perform such medical examination as early as 5 1/2 years? Her ferritin level has been 1400 earlier this year. But as we went up to the max dose (Exjade) for a period of time and splitted the dose, she has now stabilized around 470. I think anesthesia (with hospitalization) is a big step to take. Our hematologist has previously said that first MRI examination may be taken at 8-10 years of age, but we've pushed it forward because we have read it here as important. What do you think?

As you might understand from my question I'm a bit nervous to use anesthesia on our little girl. Do you think she can manage without? Our daughter is a very patient and calm girl that usually does what she is told.

Another question is whether MRI is used by examination both the liver and heart. Our papers from hospital only specify examination of liver.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 02:16:16 PM by Babynorth »

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: Question about MRI
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 06:39:04 PM »
Dear Baby North,

I would not put a child under general anethesia unless if absolutely neccessary.  While T2* is a very useful test, it may be worthwhile trying it without anesthesia.  I usually sit next to my son when he has MRI's done.  They provide him with a headset to block out noise and talk to him throughout.  We have been doing this test for many years.  I would suggest telling her what to expect, even make it an adventure for her - she may do well with the MRI. 

I am happy to hear that your daughter's ferritin is in such a health range, likely her T2* will be good as well - but it is always nice to make sure iron is not depositing in the heart -(very unlikely given her age and ferritin levels).

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline zahra

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 03:39:43 AM »
Hi Sharmin,
What age did your son start the scans? Here they have recently acquired ferriscan but said it is unnecessary before age 7 and then too only for liver . Heart scans start later.
Is this the standard or is it b/c of a high load of patients?
Zahra

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 02:31:03 PM »
Zahra,

Iron normally accumulates in the liver before the heart. I believe this is why liver scans are recommended earlier.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 06:19:26 PM »
It depends on the child. Little Miss A had her first ferriscan when she was 7 (i believe). You need to stay calm during the test, if your 5 1/2 can lay still for 20-25 minutes, it should not be a problem. As for the general anesthesia is concerned, Little Miss A had her first liver biopsy when she was three year old, the procedure was done under general anesthesia.

At sickkids I have seen children going for ferriscan as early as 5.
Regards.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk