Recommendations for Dietary Intake

• 5 Replies

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Recommendations for Dietary Intake
« on: November 04, 2013, 07:49:31 PM »
Please see this link for dietary intake recommendations.

http://www.thalassemia.org/recommendations-for-dietary-intake-video/
Sharmin

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: Recommendations for Dietary Intake
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 04:27:39 AM »
Andy,

If you listen to the first video - she discusses the complications resulting from vitamin C deficiency including
inability of chelators to work properly. 

I would suggest that all thals view these videos.

Sharmin
Sharmin

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 12:22:51 PM »
Sharmin,
I had once discussed about Vitamin C with a doctor here and he mentioned that Vitamin C is mostly recommended with Deferal (which has hexa-denta molecule) and has difficulty in reaching smaller pockets of iron in the body.

However, Kelfer (bi-denti molecule) and Exjade/Asunra (tri-denti molecule) can more effectively reach in smaller places and may not necessarily need Vit C for freeing-up of iron and of course we all understand that Vit C increase iron absorption in the gut (which is not good).

Andy,
your thoughts??

« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 12:29:44 PM by catchR »

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 03:56:47 PM »
CatchR,

The recommended vitamin C is not for increasing the effectiveness of the chelating agent.  
Most thalassemia patients are deficient in vitamin C - and this vitamin has some very important purposes in bodily functions.  Vitamin C is strong antioxidant - and thals need antioxidant protection.  There are countless other vital functions that this vitamin serves.  

The team at Oakland and other thalasemia centers recommend that along with vitamin e, zinc, vitamin d and others - that thals take a small dose of vitamin C.  205mg daily has been recommended for my 40kg son.  

I think that there is some confusion around this subject - as vitamin c was once recommended to be taken with desferal - and aided the process - when patients switched to oral chelators it was assumed that vitamin C is no longer required.  Taking large doses of vitamin C, can dispel iron from the liver - but this is not a concern when taking small doses of vitamin C at a time.  The body does not store vitamin C so it is important to continue to take vitamin C either through supplementation or vitamin C rich foods.
I hope this helps :)

Sharmin
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 04:03:21 PM by Sharmin »
Sharmin

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 09:37:42 AM »
Thanks Sharmin that really did help!! However Docs here do not talk about Vit C supplementation at all. I have a visit for this week, will discuss with the doc then

Offline sofear

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 07:08:36 PM »
I really enjoyed watching the videos, but it seems the last video does not load?  :(

EDIT: Part 4 is online again.  :biggrin
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 02:25:43 PM by sofear »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk