Leg and joint pain.

• 22 Replies

Offline Tamizhan

Leg and joint pain.
« on: November 07, 2013, 04:13:08 PM »
I'm also Thalassemia intermedia patient.
I'm suffering from severe leg pain problem. My bones are weak and brittle. i couldn't stand long time or take a 1 km walk. Do you know how to treat this problem?
I never give up!

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Leg and joint pain.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 06:27:49 PM »
Much of this problem is caused by low Hb. Years of insufficient blood cause the bones to expand and become weaker. More frequent transfusions will help, but you also should be taking zinc, calcium, magnesium and vitamin D daily for bone strength.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 07:35:04 AM »
Are you taking Kelfer?
Start listening your body, it always gives signs

Offline Himanshu Kumar

• Aditi
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 07:00:26 PM »
Hi,

At what age do you think one should start zinc, ca, mg and vit D. I started giving these supplements (Zincovit and Shelcal) to my daughter when she was just 16 month old. She is 2 year old now.

I have read many posts here on osteoporosis , brittle bone, lowering bone density etc. I have a question - can these be a cause of concern for 2 year old thal as well. what other supplements apart from the one stated above should one give to a 2 year old thal major patient. Also what is the right dosage of the above supplements for a 2 yr old child.

regds
Regular transfusion, Keeping pre transfusion HB above 10 and Iron Chelation are the three mantras for thals to stay healthy.

Offline Emby

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 10:28:49 PM »
Hi,
Even if zinc, magnesium and calcium levels are normal should supplements still be taken?

If a Bone Scan shows the bones to be thin, then is Vitamin D the only med to be taken or should some other meds be taken? For my younger son...his calcium reading is normal. He was put on Calcium Sandoz about 2 years ago but his Dr doesn't think he needs to take anything else.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 10:52:09 PM by Emby »

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 07:05:11 AM »
As per the OCH, thals should be supplemented with Vitamins and Minerals 100% of daily value.

Please get some good calcium tablet prescribed by ur doc in place of shelcal.

Offline Himanshu Kumar

• Aditi
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 11:41:44 AM »
Shelcal was prescribed by a doc who i consider good - dr revathi from apollo chennai. A 2 yr needs a syrup wd a sweet taste. She cant swallow tabs at this age.
Are you aware of any substitute of shelcal. Can osteoporosis start setting in at the age of 2. I am really worried as ì just noticed a limp in her walk. She isnt complaining of any pain though.
Regular transfusion, Keeping pre transfusion HB above 10 and Iron Chelation are the three mantras for thals to stay healthy.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 07:32:19 PM »
Shelcal was prescribed by a doc who i consider good - dr revathi from apollo chennai. A 2 yr needs a syrup wd a sweet taste. She cant swallow tabs at this age.
Are you aware of any substitute of shelcal. Can osteoporosis start setting in at the age of 2. I am really worried as ì just noticed a limp in her walk. She isnt complaining of any pain though.
Don't worry. That shouldn't be the Osteoporosis. I know parents gets very concerned. :)

I am not aware of any Indian brand liquid. But yes Osteocare, perhaps one of the most famous and used medicine for calcium supplement in Europe and USA, does provides it in a sweet nice taste liquid form as well. I order my calcium stock (mine is chewable however, because the tablets were really horse pills and I almost had near death experience once it got stuck, lol, I even get shivers remembering that incident. However, those aren't coated well like shellcall, so part of the problem was that) from chemistdirect.co.uk . They also keep liquid form of Osteocare. Shipping from UK also isn't as costly as it'd be in the USA. And usually arrives like in 12-15 days or even earlier. It's really good form for children with the perfect ration of mag/calcium.

Maybe your daughter is just limping sometimes because she's growing. That's normal for many kids. Bones expands rapidly and a temporary effect can be seen as it takes while for adjusting.

Best,

-P.
Every child is special.

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 07:11:13 AM »

Shelcal is very old medicine.  I was taking shelcal when i was kid.
There is lot of research has been done. Ask ur doc about some other syrup having Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc and more Vitamin D

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 07:26:42 AM »
Howz ur Back P?

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 06:33:01 PM »
Emby,

Zinc, calcium and magnesium should still be taken, along with vitamin D. Thals need to supplement beyond what is found in food, and with the bone scans showing thin bones, there is no doubt.

Zinc is the most important mineral thals can take for bones. Years ago, it was considered mandatory that thals take zinc and that advice has only become more solid as research has shown that the two most important things thals can do for their bones is exercise and zinc. Minerals should be started at a young age, using either liquid or chewable supplements.
Andy

Offline zahra

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 04:12:33 AM »
Hi,
How much zinc for a 5 year old? Any recommended brand?
Zahra

Offline Rashmi

• Lets embrace one another with love and understanding.
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 06:29:12 AM »
I'm also Thalassemia intermedia patient.
I'm suffering from severe leg pain problem. My bones are weak and brittle. i couldn't stand long time or take a 1 km walk. Do you know how to treat this problem?

Tamizhan,

you have to learn to live with this pain.

Taking the medicines_calcium, magnesium, zincs, vit d are important; bur equally important is learning to live with it.

I have the worst leg pain and back pain on earth. I have been on good medicines, but still pain has become a part of my everyday life.

So take the supplements....and learn to live with it.

Don't over exert, don't do things beyond your capacity, know where to stop, learn to say no.
Just lie down or sit down in between when you feel you need to do do.

Lots of love.
Rashmi

Keep calm and face.

Offline Emby

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 02:38:42 PM »
Thank you Andy for replying. Will look for good ones to start them up on.  :thumbsup

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 03:44:02 PM »
Many use Osteocare. http://www.vitabiotics.com/osteocare/chewable_formula.aspx It provides trace minerals also.
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk