Desferal and Heparin

• 6 Replies

Offline namitha

• Drop of Life!
Desferal and Heparin
« on: September 12, 2006, 01:18:37 PM »
Hi everybody,

I want to clarify something. Most patients doing desferal use heparin for the solution, but the Novartis guide on administering desferal clearly mentions that desferal is incompatible with heparin. I have never used heparin and use only distilled water.

Desferal users, do think about it and check the Novartis guide.

Peace to all!
You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann's Desiderata

Offline Miaki

• Ash and Me Dubai
Re: Desferal and Heparin
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 02:26:51 PM »
Hi to all

I have never heard of a thal major patient who is on desferal also using Heparin together for chelation purposes.

I know of patients that have used Heparin for a short term prior to surgury or when a clot has been detected, to disolve the clot. But apart from that nothing.

I would be careful and as Namitha mentioned please check the Novartis guidelines.

Miaki

Offline KHALIFA

• ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 09:31:32 PM »
  WHAT ??????? :huh no way to use Heparin every ting have it's jop you can't mix it with Heparin ...
               i sugest you ask profisional Dr.or send an e-mail to Dr.paola
                        ppolchi@hotmail.com 
        what i know a bout Heparin is use for clot if there is an IV problem
                               khalifa
RED_PILOT

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 05:03:19 AM »
Hi Namitha,  Heparin is an anticoagulant. There are different anticoagulants, use to prevent coagulation or blood clotting. There are laboratory anticoagulants such as EDTA and Citrate, which is usually in the vaccutainer tube they collect your blood for some tests. There are therapeutic anticoagulants that sometimes used to treat certain coagulation associated disorders; among them are heparin and warferin. And also in blood bags there are anticoagulants to prevent blood to clot, they are mostly Acid Citrate Dextrose (ACD). I hope you got some idea about anticoagulants.

If a thalassemic is on heparin that may be due to either some sort of cardiovascular disease or due to bleeding. Usually I don’t think as others has said Desferal is given with heparin

Offline riya

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 10:03:29 AM »
Hi guys!
             I do not use heparin solution but my doc prescribed me a heparin ointment as i get a lot of hard bumps on the site of infusion which take a lot of time to dissolve.Should I stop applying that ointment :-\ plz help!

RIYA

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 06:20:39 PM »
Hi Namitha

I dont know how you got that info.. Desferal is never used with Heparin.. my experience says.. at times, just 1 ccc of Heparin is pushed into the vein before staring a transfusion, so that no clotting takes place and the blood flows smoothly..
In thals, the veins get thrombosed easily.. hence the heparin..

Desferal is always diluted with distilled water..

Shikha

Offline namitha

• Drop of Life!
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 11:41:50 AM »
Hi,

Shikha aunty, some people are wrongly using heparin for desf in bgl. Now things have been straightened out as I have told quite a few people to only use distilled water. Riya, I am really not sure of heparin ointment on desf sites. As aunty mentioned, it is used as an anticoagulant to reduce clotting in the veins. I will find out and let you know. If anyone else knows, plz clarify this.

Regards,
Namitha
You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann's Desiderata

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk