New with questions

• 1 Replies
New with questions
« on: March 01, 2014, 06:57:56 PM »
I just joined this board and I have so many questions. I was diagnosed with thal minor at the age of 21, I am now 54. I was a sickly child and endured many blood tests. I was put on iron at around the age of 4 (liquid because I couldn't swallow pills :() I had horrible stomach pains throughout my childhood. I would love to know if I am alpha or beta. How do I find out? I am of Italian descent and my Dad was diagnosed with Thal at the age of 70. Both of my sons have thal. My youngest son was just referred to a hematologist because of his blood test results. He has had enlarged glands for most of his life and was very sickly as a child. He has been diagnosed with mono at least twice.

These are my sons (he is 19) blood test results
RBC  6.44
Hemoglobin 12.1
Hematocrit 39.1
MCV 61
MCH 18.8
MCHC 30.9
RDW 17.2
BUN/Creatinine ratio 21
TIBC 308
UIBC 202
Iron serum 106
Iron Sat 34
Ferritin serum 194

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: New with questions
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 07:12:49 PM »
A hemoglobin electrophoresis test (simple blood test) can tell you if it's beta thal. The HbA2 and HbF will test at higher than normal.

Iron should never be taken unless iron deficiency is diagnosed by a panel of test. Your son has no iron deficiency, so this should be avoided, as iron can build up and eventually damage the organs. Iron cannot help the anemia of thal minor and can only help if iron deficiency is also present.
TIBC 308
UIBC 202
Iron serum 106
Iron Sat 34
Ferritin serum 194
Those numbers are all normal range, even towards the high end.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk