Stomach pain with B-Thalassemia Intermedia

• 2 Replies
Stomach pain with B-Thalassemia Intermedia
« on: March 05, 2014, 06:38:06 PM »
I was diagnosed over two years (I'm 19 now), but only recently I have been getting really bad lower abdominal pains. I wake up with an intense "stabbing" pain and feeling quite dizzy / light headed. Sometimes it is so bad I can't literally move. I looked into it a little, before going back to my doctor (who said there was nothing wrong), where I found some information regarding to stomach pain and iron overload. I had a few tests a couple of weeks ago and they found my iron levels were higher than they should be, but it was nothing worrying. Also my blood pressure had dropped a little and I am deficient in Vitamin D., which has caused me to faint twice this week. My doctor now has no idea what is happening?

Is there anyone else who has been through the same thing? If so what did you do about it?

Offline Narendra

Re: Stomach pain with B-Thalassemia Intermedia
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 11:12:21 PM »
Hello Jess -  I assume you are not transfusion dependent.
Do you know what your Hemoglobin and Ferritin levels are?
Do you know if your spleen has been enlarged?

Thalassemia (Intermedia) needs to be managed properly and with age you might need some thalassemia management. Having a doctor who understands Thalassemia would be a great help.

View the Intermedia section in the pdf at the following link - http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php/topic,1762.0.html

Re: Stomach pain with B-Thalassemia Intermedia
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 03:39:36 PM »
Hello Jess -  I assume you are not transfusion dependent.
Do you know what your Hemoglobin and Ferritin levels are?
Do you know if your spleen has been enlarged?

Thalassemia (Intermedia) needs to be managed properly and with age you might need some thalassemia management. Having a doctor who understands Thalassemia would be a great help.

View the Intermedia section in the pdf at the following link - http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php/topic,1762.0.html

Yeah, Currently I am not transfusion dependent. Though, they are suggesting for me to have a transfusion to see if this helps in raising my Hemoglobin level, which is 9.2 gm/dL at the moment.
My Ferritin level was around 194 ng/mL I think. My spleen was enlarged only slightly a few weeks ago, but it seems ok now according to the doctor.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk