Thal minor need help

• 4 Replies
Thal minor need help
« on: March 18, 2014, 01:30:22 PM »
Hi there , i would be thankful if you read my values, i am thal minor, i have been taking multi vitamin like centrum for adults http://www.centrum.com/whats-inside/ingredients but i just noticed it has iron and some other vitamin/minerals as well but i would need your advice on which supplements to take and in what quantity.
Since you mention to take 250 mg of magnesium although my levels are normal, do i have to take them? So i would appreciate if you can advice me what to take in what quantity.
Thanks

Following are my recent results which were done 3 days ago

1. Magnesium  2.3 mg/dl    (normal 1.6-2.6)
2. 25 hydroxy vitamin D 23.3 ng/ml
3. Serum calcium 10.5 mg/dl
4. S.phosphorous 4.2 mg/dl
5. Serum B12     301 pg/ml
6. Hemoglobin   13.7 gm/dl
7. HB Electrophoresis
             Haemoglobin A   95.5%
             Haemoglobin A2  4.1%   
             High A2 consistent with thal minor.

Waiting for your advice.

Regards

John

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Thal minor need help
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 02:43:06 PM »
John,

There is a version of Centrum Silver that does not contain iron. Your vitamin D level is on the low side. I'd suggest a higher daily dose than what you are currently taking.

Do you have any of the other results from your complete blood count? I'd like to see the MCV, MCH and RBC. Your Hb is normal and your HbA2 is only slightly high. I'd like to see that the diagnosis of thal minor was based on more than the HbA2 level. I'd like to see those values before commenting more on specifics like magnesium.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
thanks for replying, here is my complete report
Hemoglogin 13.7 gm/dl
Haematocrit  43.6%

RBC 6.74 10E12/L
M.C.V  64.7 FL
M.C.H  20.3 PG
M.C.H.C  31.4%

HB Electrophoresis

Hemoglobin A 95.9%
Hemoglobin A2  4.1%

Intepretation written in report

High A2 consistent with thalassemia minor.

I would be glad to have a detail analysis from your side. You are doing a great job. God bless you. My question do i have to take all the supplements you mentioned in Nutritional Advice for Thal Minors, i want to feel energetic. And also suggest me Vitamin D dose, 5000 IU i am taking is not enough?

Regards

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 12:09:34 PM »
still waiting for a reply.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 10:31:31 PM »
Please be patient, John. This is a volunteer effort and I work about 60 hours a week in addition to the massive amount of time I spend here and running several Facebook thal groups.

The other values confirm thal minor. High RBC, low MCV, MCH, and MCHC along with high HbA2 in combination are unique to beta minor. Iron deficiency would result in a lower than normal RBC, whereas the overactive bone marrow in thal minor results in a higher production of red blood cells, although many of these are useless and contribute to problems in thals as they are destroyed.

The D dose depends on your response to it. You will need follow up testing to see what your level is. You want a minimum of 35 and it would be great to get it over 50 (I can't get above the high 30's on 5000 IU daily). Your Hb is normal. You may not need the B vitamins but if you are fatigued a lot, you may want to try them, as B vitamins are water soluble and wash out of the body quickly. I would definitely recommend natural vitamin E for its antioxidant properties. If you bruise easily, take vitamin C. Choose plenty of antioxidant foods in your diet and stay well hydrated.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk