Unrelated 100 % stemcell match for BMT

• 9 Replies

Offline samyuktha

• We will Emerge as Winners in Life.
  • We will overcome all the hurdles in Life.
Unrelated 100 % stemcell match for BMT
« on: June 25, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »
Dear Friends,

Sorry that Iam not able to keep you posted on what is happening due to technical reasons.
Samyuktha has got unrelated but 100% match donor for BMT.I am happy for her but quite worried too that her treatment should go fine.Iam right now in the process of arranging money for her BMT which comes to 30 Lacs Indian money.Once the amount is arranged,they will be starting the treatment.I want all your good will and prayers for Samyuktha.

If you have any suggestions,Kindly keep me posted.

Thank you all,
Viji
S.Vijayalakshmi

Re: Unrelated 100 % stemcell match for BMT
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 02:16:52 PM »
Where ur taking treatment at chennai.

Offline samyuktha

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 04:23:42 AM »
Hi,

My daughter is getting treatment from Apollo Speciality Clinic in Chennai.
S.Vijayalakshmi

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 01:38:09 PM »
Good Luck.

Each life is precious.
Regards.

Offline Shaheera

• Shaheera
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 04:49:30 PM »
Good Luck.
Faheem Sultan - Father of Shaheera

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 03:56:35 AM »
Hi Viji,

Nice to hear that you found 100% match. Good Luck.

Did you find the match from any bone marrow registry bank ? Or can you share the source from where you have found match.

Thanks,

Anshul Jain

Offline EugenioLaMesa

• Cure Thalassemia co-founder and chairman
    • Cure Thalassemia - Life without Thalassemia major No more transfusions
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 06:35:33 AM »
Samyuktha has got unrelated but 100% match donor for BMT.I am happy for her but quite worried too that her treatment should go fine.

This is good news.

In Class 1 and Class 2 children the results of BMT from 100% matched unrelated donor are very similar to having a 100% matched sibling.

You can read more in this scientific paper:
NY Academy of science:Unrelated bone marrow transplantation for beta-thalassemia patients:The experience of the Italian Bone Marrow Transplant Group
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16339665
I paste you the abstract:
"Bone marrow transplantation (BMT) remains the only potentially curative treatment for patients with thalassemia major. However, most candidates for BMT do not have a suitable family donor. In order to evaluate whether BMT from an HLA-matched unrelated volunteer donor can offer a probability of cure comparable to that obtained when the donor is a compatible sibling, we carried out a study involving 68 thalassemia patients transplanted in six Italian BMT Centers. Thirty-three males and 35 females (age range, 2-37 years; median age, 15) were transplanted from unrelated volunteer donors, all selected using high-resolution molecular typing of both HLA class I and II loci. Fourteen patients were classified in risk class 1; 16 in risk class 2; and 38 in risk class III of the Pesaro classification system. Nine patients (13%) had either primary or secondary graft failure. Fourteen patients (20%) died from transplant-related causes. Grade II-IV acute graft-versus-host disease (GVHD) developed in 24 cases (40%), and chronic GVHD in 10 cases (18%). Overall survival (OS) in the cohort of 68 patients was 79.3% (CI 67-88%), whereas the Kaplan-Meier estimates of disease-free survival (DFS) with transfusion independence was 65.8% (CI 54-77%). In the group of 30 thalassemic patients in risk classes 1 and 2, the probability of OS and DFS were 96.7% (CI 90-100%) and 80.0% (CI 65-94%), respectively, whereas in the 38 patients in class 3 OS was 65.2% (CI 49-80%) and DFS was 54.5% (CI 38-70%). These data show that when donor selection is based on stringent compatibility criteria, the results of unrelated transplantation in thalassemia patients are comparable to those obtained when the donor is a compatible sibling."
Eugenio La Mesa
Co-founder and Chairman
Cure Thalassemia
Live without Thalassemia major - No more transfusions
Become our fan on Facebook: http://fb.com/CureThalassemia

Offline samyuktha

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 05:47:52 AM »
Dear Friends,

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and best wishes for Samyuktha.The Hospital found the match for her from the registry of Bone Marrow donors.At present i am looking out for probable sources to arrange the funds for the treatment.I will keep updating you guys once I see developments.

Thank you,
Regards,
Viji..
S.Vijayalakshmi

Offline Himanshu Kumar

• Aditi
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 02:21:34 PM »
Hi Samyukata,

My best wishes for your child. In which registry did you find the match? Did you find the match in Datri (Indian Registry) or in NMDP.

Regards,
Himanshu
Regular transfusion, Keeping pre transfusion HB above 10 and Iron Chelation are the three mantras for thals to stay healthy.

Offline samyuktha

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 01:14:19 PM »
Hi Friends,

Thank you all for the kind words and best wishes for Samyuktha.We are still in the process for arranging the amount for BMT.Thanks to Mr.Damodaran for having called us up last week and sharing his thoughts about the treatment cost and process .I was quite excited that our children will be getting their BMT  done in the same Hospital under the Same Doctor :) .He said that his Son will also be undergoing BMT in some months.All the best to his Son.I am quite confident that both Samyuktha and Mr.Damodaran's Son are going to get cured.

Friends,please pray for both the kids.They need your prayers for a complete cure.
S.Vijayalakshmi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk